[QUOTE=Chief Pedant]
All taxation is “wealth redistribution” I’d say.
[/quote]
It is, but I don’t think it should be. That is to say, certainly taxation takes money away from me and passes it to someone else (the military, regulatory agencies, etc..etc.), but -
I deny altogether that this disparity needs to be addressed. The superwealthy are not doing any injury to the “broad middle” by having more money, and the “broad middle” has no legitimate claim to that money. (Please note the specific reference to the “broad middle”.)
The only purpose of taxation, in my view, is to fund the legitimate functions of government - not social engineering or some sort of economic egalitarianism. Bill Gates is not doing me any harm by owning more than I do. So I have no right to use the coercive power of government to remove any of his wealth merely because I want it.
I am trying to separate this idea from the welfare function of government. The welfare function may or may not be legitimate, and can be achieved in various ways. But pretend for the moment that (outliers notwithstanding) pretty much everyone in a society has reasonable access to the means of life. We can argue, if you like, what “reasonable” means here, or if everyone in America has achieved it, but assume for the sake of the argument that we are reasonably close.
My contention is that taxation for the purpose of transferring wealth from the “have-lots” to the “have-enough-but-not-nearly-as-much” is not legitimate. Again please note, I am not talking about people starving in the streets. But wealth disparity, in and of itself, is not a social evil.
In my view, one of the drawbacks of the political development of the US over that last forty years or so is the notion that, if some group has more money than the government thinks they need, then the government can dream up some new way of spending that money, take the money, and then spend it. If the group gets more money, then the government gets to take that and spend it too.
I see it as [ul][li]decide what are the functions of the federal government []decide what amount of revenue is needed to fulfill those functions (which are limited exclusively to the ones enumerated in the Constitution, and nowhere else)[]tax in a way that raises that amount of revenue, with minimal impact on the economy[*]then stop.[/ul]The fact that people have more or less left after the revenue has been raised should have no effect on the process. You fund the necessary functions, and you are done.[/li]
I can see the reasoning behind getting the bulk of the money from those who will miss it least. But I do not accept the reasoning that says we should get more than that.
Actually, he would probably publicly support it, and then hire tax lawyers to find the loopholes.
This is the sales tax that BobLibDem suggested, ISTM.
Of course, consider the bureaucracy involved in deciding which items were over-priced, and which were not. Is a $500,000 house pedestrian? In San Francisco? How about a $50,000 solar-powered car? Gourmet foods? $200 sneakers? Organic produce costs more than the regular versions, at least at my grocery store. Pedestrian, or not? Etc.
Interesting that you should choose yachts as an example. That has actually already been tried. The net effect was to clobber the domestic boat industry.
This is protectionism, which is a whole other thread. I guess I will content myself by saying that free trade is one of the few concepts that is nearly unanimously endorsed by economists.
Regards,
Shodan