Is there a technology that performs the reverse of a microwave oven?

Is this because of the chilling, or the shaking?

Yeah – whenever I have a cold carbonated drink, it always holds its carbonation in solution better when cold than when warm.

This may not always hold true, but generally, solubility of solids in liquids is proportional to temperature, and solubility of gases in liquids is inversely proportional. CO[sub]2[/sub] will dissolve better in cold liquids.

It’s not really the opposite of a microwave, but there ARE solid-state devices that make things cooler. Look up the Peltier Effect and *Pelitier coolers *. You can cascade them and get very low temperatures. They’re used in the photodetection business all the time. And no moving parts!
What makes this particularly interesting is that there was an attempt to use this effect or something similar to build a practical refrigerator. Back in the pre-Freon days, they used ammonia as a refrigerant, and a lot of people got sick or died when their coolant loop in their home refrigerator got punctured. This jhappened in Germany a lot, for some reason. In one of the littlew-known events in his life, Albert Einstein and some other famous German physicist (Heisenberg?) got together to try to come up with a sage alternative to the ammonia-based refrigerator. It never caught on, though.

Mythbusters did this one. Works like a charm, apparently.

It did catch on for special applications, like portable coolers (example).

yup, we visited a Pepsi bottling facility when I was in grade school. The only thing I remember is that when they gave us those bottles from the line, they were REALLY cold.

Chilling increases the solubility of CO2 into the beer, and the shaking increases the surface area between the (uncarbonated) beer and the CO2. The alternative is to let it sit under pressure for longer.

I give you the jet-powered beer cooler.

The Einstein-Szilard refrigerator patent - see also this page based on its author’s good 1997 Scientific American article on the subject. The same rough idea was later used in the cooling systems of some nuclear reactors, but after their patent had lapsed.

I stand corrected. I was assuming that the solubility of gases in liquid was similar to the solubility of solids in liquid, i.e. directly proportional to temperature. Ignorance fought!

The trouble with the fire extinguisher is that it’s too expensive.

The cheap fast way to cool down beer is with ice and rock salt. Same as old-timey ice cream makers.

Doesn’t a microwave work because the frequency of the waves is about right to excite water molecules? Now, if there was a frequency that could slow water molecules… Say water vibrates at x gigahertz (or whatever unit that’s measured) at 32 degrees F, would exposing water to a sympathetic wavelength slow vibration …

Hey! Squirrel Boy is on.

Of course, while the solubility of CO[sub]2[/sub] increases as the temperature decreases, all bets are off when the beer freezes.

I think all you need to do is reverse the polarity of the microwave.

Are you trying to kill us all?!?!?!?

Seems to me that I heard many years ago that someone had or was going to market a milkshake that you put in a microwave oven, but it came out cold.

Was this true? How did it work?

Maybe it worked because it went into the microwave colder. Otherwise, it makes no sense.

To cool you have to remove heat. On cold mornings I can turn on the blowdryer in my small bathroom for 5 min and warm it up. It would be so nice to have a similar device in summer to cool the bathroom down, but alas no such luck. Short of a exterior vented window unit to expel the heat there is no such electronic device that will do the trick. If there was we could eliminate global warming.

I remember this. I may have even tried one. The shake started out frozen rock hard and you heated it up until it achieved milk-shake consistency.