Is there a way to alert Wikipedia to a mistake w/o an account?

Here’s something that helps to clear things up. The first citation on Wikipedia shows this map of districts from 2000 which uses names instead of numbers. So when the article was first created it correctly and unambiguously showed a county district named Puna. The category box at the bottom of the wiki page also classes it as a county district. So while I think that adding information about the traditional moku is a good idea* I think we aren’t spreading misinformation by updating the map.

Anyway, if we can’t clear this up soon, I’ll do what Carol was asking about in the OP - Tag the article as outdated. It’ll put a little box at the top the has a warning about what is outdated. It’ll also automatically appear on a list of outdated articles and hopefully some editor will come along and fix it up. It took a bit of research to find out how to do it, but the actual edit I would make is to add a template called {{update}} somewhere within the first lines of the page.

• I will add some information on this to the article sometime in the next few days because I do agree that Wikipedia coverage of indigenous information is generally terrible.

Nice! That sounds great.

Actually, I think the Wikipedia article is solely about the traditional moku district with that name, making the current map it uses both accurate and relevant—and the modern-day numbered electoral districts are completely irrelevant to it.

What makes you think that? The word “moku” does not even appear, and it references 9 districts (correct in terms of government districting) whereas apparently there were only 6 moku.

It would actually be nice if the article were about a more traditional concept, but in that case it needs to be explicit about what it is trying to represent (maybe someone else can do an edit :crazy_face:)

So what I did in the end was:

• Add a little seed sentence in the history section about the traditional area
  • Tag the county district table on the page for Hawai’i county, since that’s unambiguously out of date, and link the map on the talk page there.

Looking at the other pages for the various districts I’ve come around a little bit to Mr Downtown’s way of thinking - The traditional localities are more enduring than the districts that change every 10 years. Nothing stopping the articles including both sets of information though! Some of the district pages are presented this way, some are not.