Is there any real moral difference between killing & eating a pig & a dolphin?

Huh. I always figured it was just because they’re endangered. If that’s not the case, I’ll down with a fricasse of Flipper.

I’d also eat dog or cat, just so long as its not my dog or cat.

I guess the only rational response to this dilemma is to throw them both in the pot together, toss in some potatoes, and make a tasty stew.

I dunno. What’s dolphin taste like?

Do Pigs Eat People?

Some whale and dolphin populations are dropping, many are increasing. Those that are increasing are clearly indicating that the curent harvest is sustainable. That is what sustainable means.

Other great apes are certainly the next in the line for intelligence. However to say that cetaceans as a group are intelligent is utter bollocks. Some are about as intelligent as a cow, which is understandable givent he similarity of lifestyle. Even the smartest dolphgins seem to be about as intelligent as a dog… or a pig.

What is that based on?

Sorry, but the only approrpiate response to that statemnt is: :rolleyes:

Can we please have a reputable efernce to suport that extraordinary claim?

Dolphins have “great wisdom and discernment” do they? Please provide evidence that dolphins have any more wisdom and discernment than a pig or an insect. Intelligence, possibly. Wisdom and discernment, no.

Let’s see.

Endangered? No, not for the most part. There are some endangered dolphin species, but then there are some endangered pig species too. So let’s compare apples with apples.

Sapient? Nope, not unless you have some extraordinary evidence for that extraordinary claim.

Freindly? Not by along shot. Dolphins are able to be trained to perform for food, as are most species. But in terms of freindliness they are about on par with pigs.

You do realise that there is amasive wild pig market thorughout the world. That includes the US.

Reference please? I could go out right now and shoot couple of dolphins. All it would require is a small boat ($5000) and a rifle ($200). In order to rasie a pig I must first purchase the pig ($50) then feed it for ayear ($300). I also need to own or rent land upon which to keep the pig ($1000).

It certainly seem like, for me, it would be much cheaper and easier to catch wild dolphins than to raise pigs.

I’m arguing.

Does God get an opinion?

Seems to Him they are both dirty bastards.

You’re absolutely right; I totally retract my assertion that peple eat domesticated pigs. Please define “massive” (or “amasive”) in relation to the relatively puny trade in S domesticus. Dare I even ask “cite?”

You have me bang to rights. I have no cite. I pulled those numbers…I mean, opinions out of my ass and was discussing raising pigs. I won’t even bother asking you the source of your numbers, because I can go your scenario one better; I just slip over to my (hypothetical) neighbor’s farm, entice his pig to approach with a morsel of food and WHAM!!; I give him the old ‘what for’ with a mallet. Cost? Nothing

I noticed.

Well, us humans being top of the food chain; any animal that we anthropomorphize; that act alone, gives the animal more signifigance than others.

I think that’s the thing about being supreme rulers of the planet. We don’t have to have any ryme or reason. Nor do we have to explain ourselve to lesser beings.

Worse; in your suburb, some people will keep animals such as rabbits, chickens and ducks as pets and those same people will quite happily eat other rabbits, chickens and ducks as food - as you say; neither one precludes the other.

I wonder what dolphin tastes like?

I guess it is for sentimental/ cultural reasons is why we don’t eat the intelligent cute furry ones.

You know, every time someone brings up the question, “Why should dogs/cats/dolphins not be eaten while livestock animals can?”, the reply, “why not eat humans” come up. How do you rebutt that?

I’ve heard that whale meat (the lean parts) looks like the best beef you can buy, but tastes oily and fishy. An important factor in what meat tastes like is the diet (and to a lesser extent the habitat) of the animal; even though dolphins are (obviously) not fish, they eat almost nothing but fish, so I would imagine dolphin will taste quite fishy.

Grouper eat mainly (if not exclusively) fish; they don’t taste “fishy”, although they do taste like fish.

The short answer is that it tastes like chicken.

Ah, that’s what the judges were looking for. Well played!

Tell you what, you cite the fact that Dolphin populations are safe and I’ll start supplying cites. Personally this thread angers me more than any thread I have seen on this board. You claim their intelligence is low. Where’s the cite for that.
Within Anne Neville cite are points about their intelligence and uncertain population levels.
You can go out a shoot a Dolphin because they have learned to trust humans again. Most rational humans appreciate them and enjoy seeing them.

Jim :mad:

One of these things is not like the other.

Agreed, this is a big issue for me, I fought for the whaling bans and safe tuna nets. I am not being completely rational in my response. However Blake is making claims without support and then demanded cites from me.

Jim

Far be it from me to stand in the way of your asking for cites; it just surprised me to hear you describe the whole thread as angering you.

Again you are correct, I spoke rashly, and it is only a few posts that have me upset.
I apologize to everyone else. I thought Cetacean intelligence was well accepted at this point. I wouldn’t think a cite was even needed. Here’s one that might surprise him even more and I guess I will look for a few cites, but Octopi are believe to be smarter than most land animals. I don’t believe in eating them also and there is definitely no cuteness factor with them.

Jim