Is there ANYTHING that eats roaches?

I’ve actually seen a gecko eat a roach. The roach was admittedly small.

I think the point is that some animals will bite things that they don’t eat. Sharks, for example, will bite people, but they won’t eat people. Shiny metal lures, cockroaches on hooks, and people in wet-suits are not naturally occurring things that sea creatures actually want to eat–they just think they want to eat them, but after they bite, the damage is already done.

Resulting in that rarest of events: an insurance pitchman performing a public service! :smiley:

Aside from Geckos, there is a bird call “Cucarachero” (The cockroacher): Troglodytes aedon.

My brother has chickens and he confirms this. They will pounce on cockroaches in a heartbeat.

Where are you getting this stuff? A shark won’t eat a human?

Also, have you ever seen a bass or a pike hit a bug? It’s in one motion, not a series of nibbles. Even if the fish changed it’s mind, it would be too late.

Here’s a giant one catching a bat: Giant Bat-Eating Centipede - YouTube

Do not underestimate the centipede!

I’ve got an Australian Shepherd that absolutely Hoovers up June bugs on warm summer nights if we leave the porch light on. I’ve no doubt he would eat roaches, if he saw them.

Speaking of Australia, I’ll bet cane toads would gladly eat any roaches for you.

The Earth’s most dangerous predator eats them like popcorn in some parts of the world.

Rats love them. I had a pet rat in my classroom many moons ago. Kids would bring roaches from hither and yon to see him eat them up. One night the rat figured a way out of his cage, went to the cage next to his, killed the three mice therein, and was found back in his cage the next morning, looking very proud of himself. He didn’t eat the mice, he just killed them by biting through their skulls.

This thread has ruined my night. I second the fact that centipedes eat everything else that is creepy and in your house though.

I sometimes have thesein my house, and the centipedes run away ( x 100)

an ex of mine worked in a pet store and could get these guys for dirt cheap like $1-$2 each at the time. A friend of hers had a huge roach problem. Ex got her like 18 of the geckos. Turned them loose in the kitchen, and the hunting began. Took a few weeks but the roaches pretty much disappeared, alonge with spiders. A few geckos turned up dried out and dead here and there over the next few months. Every once in a while you would see one on a wall somewhere. if you are not sqeamish about tiny reptiles running loose, they are fabulous pest control systems.

What a dirty rat.

:smiley:

Thankfully I live in Canada.

That article made me glad that insects didn’t evolve to be the dominant form of life on the planet. Can you imagine a six-foot wasp stinging you in the brain so you could serve as food source/crib for its larva(e)? [shudder]

Humans. I know for a fact that fried giant chinese cockroach is a delicacy. tastes kinda like almonds. when in rome ya know…

The bat video doesn’t do the speed of their attack justice

don’t be so sure.

Most human predation by sharks is strictly catch and release. Likely because the shark ends up thinking “this isn’t a #%#%#% seal.” However, sharks have been known to consume human beings.