Is there some way to connect to the net away from wifi?

On a VPN I wouldn’t be able to tell the type of data being used (web browsing, Netflix, etc). I would still be able to see the device being tethered and it’s operating system.

I know you can buy a cellular modem that’ll plug into a USB port. You’ll get 3G, or maybe 4G speeds. You’ll have to get a data plan to go with it.

There’s a free option if you have a suitable tablet. T-Mobile offers 200 MB per month free for any tablet. That’s not enough if you want to watch videos on the go, but it works pretty well for looking up directions, web, weather, and similar stuff. Works great with my Nexus 7 LTE. No monthly bill at all.

Here’s another free option:

http://www.freedompop.com/

If you order one of these connectors, be sure to say “no” to anything that may cost money. Especially say “no” when they offer “free trials” and you should be able to get the basic 500 MB/month.

If you have a Verizon account you can tether to your Verizon Android phone and Verizon is prohibited from charging you.

So they bought some 4g spectrum, right? Does that free tethering only apply to their 4g network it their 3g one too?

I stand corrected. That looks like a pretty good option, and as far I can tell doesn’t even require buying a tablet from them. Doesn’t look like they support Chromebooks, though.

That was interesting enough that I just signed up (I kinda need 4G access on my laptop as well). It’s not quite free, though–you have to pay for the hotspot at least (~$40 after shipping). Plus, they make it extremely easy to get hit by hidden charges. A hint: make sure to disable “automatic top-up” under billing settings. Otherwise they’ll charge you after you reach only 400 MB (not 500 MB as you might expect).

I’ve had no trouble at all using Android 4.3’s inbuilt tethering feature with T-Mobile.

I tether with my Samsung Note 2 from Verizon at LTE speeds and it cost me nothing; grandfathered in on unlimited data as well. Work pays for it since I travel quite a bit and I am not allowed to hook up to customer wi-fi services. Often times I’ll be in a meeting and the locations wi-fi will go down and we start sharing my wi-fi hotspot. It comes in handy at home as well.