Is this offensive to a reasonable person?

I don’t find it offensive because I don’t get it. Could you make it simpler to understand?

Well, it’s actually just a small sideplot of the novel, though the church is going to have a fairly sized role, usally as the entity that is supposed to be the moral center but in reality is not above using a number of methods to make a whole lotta money(selling forgivness, titles, influence, relics for the right amount of money).

The idea is that at one point the little blurb about the church would be mentioned, so you know what the deal with the church is. And then we go back to the story, but it gives some context to some of the other stuff, like reference to people eating jam and drinking rum, or the pie people, or statues of the nephew which are used as currency.

still not as bad as a certain king who’s a kill happy bastard who taxes everyone to death(At the beginning of the story, there’s an 80% tax rate on everyone, plus a 5% poverty tax on the poor). As a result, nobody likes him or his bratty kid.

It’s played in a darkly humorous way, as I’m trying to do everything.

Paragraph one is a pastishe on the christ story. The prime/indeterminate number thing being a parody of the paradox of the trinity(“God’s both one and three?”)Rum and Jam being kind of like the Euachrist(Protestants see it as symbolics, Catholics dogma is apparently that it really does turn to Christs flesh and blood when you eat it). The brother thing is making fun of the arian heresy(How one version of the trinity is dogma, but the arian version is enough to launch a crusade over :rolleyes: )

Paragraph two making fun of the various schisms and divisions, and then making fun of the pope’s special status(Jesus said Peter was his right hand man. He never said that applies to anyone else, particulary people who became by influence, money and power centuries down the line).

Paragraph three is making fun of the point in the middle ages where there two and later three popes running around, all claiming to be the true one, and then a couple jabs at protestanism.

Okay, so it could be better oganized. I haven’t decided how much to keep yet.

To answer the OP’s question, I read the parody of historical antisemitism as being sympathetic to the “Jews” and as mocking of antisemitism. I did not construe it as being disrespectful of Judaism, and I don’t think most people would, but we all know that people can read some strange interpretations into things (like those who think Huck Finn is racist).

I enjoyed it and look forward to reading the whole short story. I think I’m a reasonable person, (but then so does each extremist - smile) and I’m not offended in the least.

And read? I only read part of it because, in my opinion, it has very low read-ability. If your excerpt was the first page of a novel, I would take it back to the library unread.

I wasn’t offended by the religious parts. Your prose style, on the other hand…

I guess I would say that the satire isn’t very pointed.

The 12-as-a-prime-number joke is a bit too obscure to be funny. This part -

also doesn’t make a lot of sense. There is no earlier reference to a brother, so the idea of including him isn’t funny.

Same with this -

Why would they “feign ignorance”?

There are some other grammatical errors as well -

You don’t “say” a gesture. And the “he” in “he taught them to eat the jam” is unclear - the nephew, or the pope?

The part about “holy phlegm and bile” is good as a parody of the blood motif in the Eucharist. I think that if you want to satirize Christianity, you would do better to make each individual element of the satire refer to something specific in Christianity. The part about stirring by monkeys is an example - what, specifically, are you parodying in Christianity with the reference?

I suppose I can say that I am not offended by it, but if you rewrote it, I might be.

Regards,
Shodan

Well, fortunatly, it isn’t. The first two chapters are already written and this, if I put it in there, will be somewhere in the 3rd chapter or beyond.

And frankly, it really hasn’t been edited much. It would not be as written in the actual story. I was checking for content, not writability(and I realize it’s pretty wierdly written).

The whole thing reminds me of some kind of pale imitation of Monty Python

The Brother thing would be something like.

Missionary: And the Nephew of God…
Potentional Convert: So what about the brother of God?
Missionary: What brother?
Potentional Convert: If God has a nephew, doesn’t that imply a brother exists in some way?
Missionary: Don’t be silly…

THe monkey stirring the barrel has nothing to do with Christinaty at all. I did the rum, I did the jam and then I decided…put rum and jam in a barrel. And then I figured, since I have the barrel, why not a monkey invovled as well? Why? Because I like monkeys.

Dang hit send. I like “Man with hat”, and the jam and rum, the “never invited to parties” bit, and the cotton candy. I especially like the bit about no brother. I don’t think much of the second paragraph, and I especially don’t think much of the grammar.

I want to make one thing clear:

The whole point was to find out if the passage was offensive to a reasonable person. The passage itself is a barely edited nugget of an idea that will surely be improved upon(in content and style) before the novel is finished. I realize it is confusingly written and I apologize. I should have cleaned it up more.

It is going to be tucked somewhere into the novel, but not in the first chapter, in some form or another(what I haven’t quite decided yet). I’m not wher where yet, but around the time the church gets more invovled in the story.

However, those who are interested in what the thing looks like, I do have the first chapter available for those who are interested. It’s in it’s fairly finalized form(That is, I’m pretty happy with it and plan to change very few things)

Well, OK, but my sister’s son is also my nephew. So God having a nephew does not necessarily imply a brother.

Humor is the sudden perception of incongruity. Things that do not push towards that sudden recognition tend not to be funny. Satire that isn’t funny doesn’t work very well. IMO.

It seems to me that satire works when the reader immediately recognizes the references and applies them, without having them explained. Jokes that you have to explain aren’t often very funny. Especially if the explanation is only meaningful to the author.

Often, good writing is as much about what you take out as what you put in.

It depends, I expect, on who your audience is. If you are writing for your own amusement, have at it - you don’t need any of the jokes explained, so all is well. If you want to write for anyone else, then you will need (I would expect) to write so that your meaning is clear, but without explicit explanations, which tend to bog down the narrative.

Regards,
Shodan

HPL – It’s not offensive, at least not to me. However, it is incoherent and tedious; I’m guess that you’d rather go for sharp and funny. Please keep working on it. And for the love of Christ (or whatever satirical variant thereof you may contemplate) please work on your spelling. What you’ve presented so far is almost painful to read.

Good luck; no matter what, keep working.

Okay, I’ve rewritten it to be much more readable and coherent. It’s probably still not offensive anymore, except to fundementalists.

And before anyone says it, I realize the Latin spelling/grammer sucks.