Is this real? Empty cities in China.

Since the newpapers don’t seem to saying much about this stuff, any personal anecdotes you can provide are certainly welcome. And please feel free to speculate.

Not sure if that’s intended to be snark, but if you’d care to Google “China migrant workers” you’ll find plenty of data as well as anecdotes.

Not snarky … a serious request for whatever information or insight you might be able to provide. It is very difficult for those of us with no personal knowledge of the situation to judge the reliability of internet sites – that’s why I started this thread.

You’ve been here a couple of years and to me, that grants you much more credibility than a high google page ranking.

Okay, well in my city of a few million we only had a handful of homeless. Far less than you’d find in a similar American city. YMMV.

Ok, sorry - it’s hard to tell sometimes. I’m on mobile through the holidays, and will try to get back with one or two links and anecdotes when I get back.

Sven - fair enough, & there’s nothing wrong with personal observations – if you acknowledge that’s what they are & you’re not trying to turn them into sweeping generalizations that are contradicted by the data.

Empty buildings without people or heat will start to decay rapidly. Grass starts growing up through cracks in concrete streets and sidewalks. It’s amazing how quickly unused housing developments can deteriorate.

The U.S. has some housing developments that haven’t sold in our bad economy. I’ve seen them on the news and they look pretty rough. They’ve even demolished some because it’s cheaper than finishing the construction in the development.

China’s unused housing is on a much bigger scale than the U.S.