Is this true or just an Urban Legend?

When I applied to the NSA there were questions like that on the form. There were even questions asking me if I had ever had sex with animals or smoked pot by myself. Seriously. They have some sort of psychological testing standard they hold you to it seems.

I had to sign one of those McCarthy statements for a parttime job shoveling cow poop at the State Fair this summer.

And they also are required to start a 401k plan for me. For working 2 weeks. Shoveling cow poop.

I hate California beuracracy.

What’s the big deal? Wasn’t this country founded by overthrowing the government of the United States of America by force or violence?

Hypocrites, the lot of them!

Does the Fifth Amendment not apply to tourists?

Here is a story about a Californian man who refused to sign such a statement.

And the best part of that form, that almost everyone fills in on the plane, is “If you answered “Yes” to any of the above, please contact the American Embassy BEFORE you travel to the U.S. since you may be refused admission into the United States.”

Wait, they won’t discharge you for trying to overthrow the government, but they will for lying about it?

That question is still on federal applications today. I doubt it will be striken anytime soon.

Technically, it was the government of His Royal Majesty’s American colonies… and if I had to fill out a security clearance form in England, I would definitely get the interviewer’s assistance with that one, because I was definitely a member of the US Department of Defense.

Which is easier to prove?

Don’t you have to prove they wanted to overthrow the government **before ** you can accuse them of lying about it?

Not if you ask them “Have you ever belonged to any of the organizations on this list?”.

They asked me that question when I enlisted in the Army. It was a very long list.

So if I deny being a member of Al Qaeda, they don’t have to prove I am lying before they kick me out?

Which was also…the government of the United States of America. :smiley:

No. They have to prove you’re lying about being a member of the organization. They don’t have to prove you’re lying about wanting to overthrow the government, because that’s not the question they asked.

Which was my original point; if they are convinced I am Al Qaeda, isn’t that reason enough to show me the door (or worse)? Isn’t charging me with lying sort of anticlimactic?

And what legal basis do you think they have for excluding you, except for…the list of banned organizations they showed you, which you said you were not part of?

They don’t need any legal basis for excluding you. My understanding is that even though my visa paperwork is in order, and I’m not on any no-fly lists, and don’t say anything stupid, its complete the discresion of the immigration offical whether I get in. If he has a “bad feeling” about me he can exclude me…

They can legally ban me for being a member of a terrorist organization. Adding “and you lied about it” is gilding the lily.

In a related story, here in the Bay State (aka Massachusetts), when buying a firearm, one of the many questions on the form you fill out is “Are you a fugitive from justice?”. Again, this is probably done to make a criminal’s prosecution all the easier. (I’m sure glad they don’t ask “Have you ever torn the tag off of a mattress?”) :eek:

Note the entry under 27 Mar 2001 at this site:
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200001/ldhansrd/vo010327/text/10327-13.htm

“I am reminded of the story of Gilbert Monkton. In the 1950s or 1960s he was sent on a mission to Washington. He had to fill in that very long immigration form the United States used to have. After the questions on age, date of birth, residence and so on, the last question was: do you intend in any way to take up arms against or threaten the security of the United States? He wrote, “Yes, sole purpose of visit”. He was arrested on arrival. That was a pity because he was there on the orders of the Foreign Office. It took a little explaining, but makes my point.”

The story is retold by a member of the House of Lords, which makes it one of the more reliable cites I could find.

Note also,
http://weblib.wl.dvgu.ru/?action=view&form[book]=oxfrd_mq.gz

" 8.16 Gilbert Harding
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

1907-1960

Before he [Gilbert Harding] could go to New York he had to get a US visa
at the American consulate in Toronto. He was called upon to fill in a long
form with many questions, including "Is it your intention to overthrow the
Government of the United States by force?" By the time Harding got to that
one he was so irritated that he answered: "Sole purpose of visit."
W. Reyburn Gilbert Harding (1978) ch. 2"

Did you actually read my post? Do you think it’s possible that “you lied about it” is how they legally ban you for being a member of a terrorist organization? If they ask that question and then have the ability for kicking you out after finding out you are a member, they don’t need any other rules; they can ban you if you say yes (without having to prove you’re actually a member), and they can ban you if you say no and you actually are a member because you lied about being a member. Sounds like a more practical system (from the gov’s standpoint) to me than not asking the question at all and then hunting for evidence of membership; at least they may weed out a couple of dumb shits every decade or two who say yes, and at the very worst they spend just as much time and energy searching for actual evidence of membership, while padding your case with an extra charge.

I learned in the US armed services that it’s a bad idea to trust the face of a department of the federal government or anything s/he says. I wouldn’t be surprised if, like recruiters, whoever you’re talking to at INS/Customs/whatever else alternates between telling you what you want to hear to get you in, and telling you more bald-faced lies to scare you into acting right once you’re committed.