Is Tuskegee really a reason for black Americans to not get the Covid vaccine?

Issues might also have to do with what happened during the 1970s.

True.

Even if Black people are getting vaccinated they’re at least taking some measures to protect themselves.

As a general rule, the maskholes are uniformly White - we call 'em snowflakes 'cause they’re white and prone to meltdowns.

This is borne out by my (anecdotal) experience as well. In general, while it may be that Black people are as likely or more likely than white people to be vaccine-hesitant, they seem far less likely to be outright covidiots.

All the people I’ve seen in public flouting mask rules and openly promulgating misinformation about COVID have been white.

And apparently it’s not just my experience, either, according to this cited survey about pre-COVID-vaccine behavior:

They had no idea about any experiment.
They were simply being told they were receiving “health care”. Health care is a thing that white people were / are receive.

The patients being targeted were on a special list that they had no knowledge of. So, yeah, they could be targeted by being on a special list in the same way, and then whatever additives could be added to the injections.

I’m not saying that another Tuskegee is a likely prospect, merely that the OP’s arguments seem to be based on a misconception. It’s not that the Tuskegee patients thought they were being signed up for Project Daedalus or whatever, they just signed up for free healthcare, which would be the same as any white person would receive, for all they knew :frowning_face:

They’re also 50% more likely to be born premature, complications of which are globally the leading cause of death in children under age 5.

Black Americans disproportionately live in Southern states with generally low vaccine take up. If you control for that, it looks to me that the disparity basically goes away. Here’s some raw data:

Latest Data on COVID-19 Vaccinations by Race/Ethnicity

The most discriminatory part of the infamous experiment wasn’t lack of informed consent, as that was the norm back then. The worst part was failure to give penicillin as soon as it was shown to be the best treatment. Not getting vaccinated, by depriving yourself of what proven medical science has to offer, is equivalent to doing the Tuskegee experiment on yourself.

Again, I disagree.

Yes, in my view getting vaccinated makes sense, and in fact I am personally double-vaccinated.

However, it is most definitely an issue of informed consent, and trust.
As far as the people in the Tuskegee experiment knew, they were receiving the absolute best medical care. That is what multiple doctors were telling them.

People who now don’t trust doctors based on that, may fear that doctors will claim to be giving them a vaccine but in their case, owing to their race, they’ll actually receive at best a placebo, and at worst some new pathogen.
I don’t think this is a plausible scenario in 2021, even in the united states of a-fuckup, but I think it’s wrong to imply that people with this fear have misunderstood or misapplied Tuskegee.

A follow-up to my post: a 60 Minutes feature from 1979 about the 1976 swine flu vaccine: