Is your culture/country in your eyes better then an other and if yes: Why.

I noticed that many keep pointing out economic and not cultural differences… which would be closer to what the OP asked for.

Having lived abroad quite a while and in several different countries I can say I prefer Brazilian culture… thou maybe not the economic situation itself of course.

Then again I was raised within these values and cultural atitudes… even when abroad. This discussion might seem about if Polar Bears feel more comfortable in the Artic than the jungle. We carry with us the values of the society we live in. I noticed most americans do value jobs and prosperity more and the answer show this.

Well back to "my culture". Brazilians tend to be fair minded. Overly done competition and exclusion isnt well regarded. Material sucess is not seen as a measure of personal sucess as much. We have a healthy disregard for some laws/rules and bend them a bit. We are pretty much diplomatic by nature and easy going. Brazilians have emigrated to every conceivable country and have adapted well showing a great degree of flexibility. We are extremely tolerant and joyful people .. foreigners are very well treated too. (Except our rivals from Argentina).  Varies by State too of course...  put in some of the best music to finish it off. 

Now having lived abroad also means I miss a lot British "culture" and London especially. From their black humour to their mindset I loved it all.  I miss Austria a bit too... I miss the efficiency of Europe and the USA. Things tend to work in the US... very professional. Its great to have stuff working on time and without hitches all the time.  Naturally the "cold" people outside Brazil are a turn off for us... 

If it depended on me I would be living in abroad every once in a while... just to get the best of both worlds.

Let’s put it this way. I’d PREFER to live in America vs. Europe. I like it here, I speak English better than I speak German, my family lives here, I like our informal attitude better, I like that our economy is looser and more vibrant, I like our popular culture better.

But can I really conclude from that that America is “better” than Europe? No, because when it comes down to it, those things are personal preferences, and also just things that I’m used to. If I grew up in Germany, I’d probably be more comfortable living there than in America, although maybe not.

But, then we come to a point where things are more clear. Is America “better” than North Korea? Obviously yes. We don’t have a totalitarian dictatorship. Our people aren’t starving. We aren’t hauled out and executed on the whim of the secret police. People can come and go as they will. People can speak their minds. People can engage in a broad range of satisfactory economic behaviors, they aren’t slaves in a factory or farm.

So, North America and Europe: broadly comparable. North Korea: the society that comes closest to the one envisioned by George Orwell in 1984.

Then there are the middle cases. Saudi Arabia doesn’t tolerate religious freedom, eqaulity of the sexes, people can’t vote, etc. Yet, they can leave the country. They can engage in business. They can communicate with the outside world, so long as they do not disparage the rulers. Not a country I’d like to live in. And I think, by objective standards, a country that does not deliver as good a life as what you can acheive in NA and Europe. Or take Russia, where you deal with poverty, ignorance, mafia, corruption and lawlessness. Or China. Or any number of African countries that are dirt poor, with no educational infrastructure, and autocratic (but not totalitarian) governments. All pretty bad, and I think by objective standards demonstrably worse than NA and Europe.

Then we have another tier. Mexico, Brazil, India, Turkey, etc. Not exactly democratic, but not entirely unfree either. Corrupt, but not hopeless. Places where you can live your life, even though you face obstacles that aren’t present in first world countries. Are those countries objectively worse than NA/Europe? Well, I still think we can say that they are. They may have constitutions and bills of rights, but those rights are frequently violated, although not neccesarily in a systemic way. Their economic and educational infrastructure is worse, so people have fewer opportunities and must work harder to get ahead. They may have de jure religious freedom, but in practice you face many problems if you are a religous minority. People can speak their minds, there is a free press, but you might be harrassed for joining a union, or being an outspoken critic of the government. Still…if you could fix the many problems in those countries, you could see that they would be just as nice to live in as the First World countries.

The point is, countries can go bad. They can enslave their population, etc etc. Think of all the things you’d hate if they happened where you live. Well, there are dozens of countries around the world where that is standard operating procedure. Does that mean that we’re perfect here? Of course not. Just NA/Europe/Japan have the most free, most educated, most healthy, and most wealthy citizens in all of human history.

Plenty of other countries are on the verge of joining that group…eastern europe, South Korea, Taiwan. Or maybe they’ll fail, or maybe we’ll fail. There’s nothing magical or racial about it. Just that the rule of law, democracy, human rights and economic freedom produce good societies to live in. Any society that adopts those things will therefore become a good society to live in, to the extent that they actually adopt those things. Thats the difference between a comparative paradise like, say, Canada, and a festering hell hole like North Korea.

Lemur,

When it comes to the daily reality inside North Korea, I’m not informed.
When it comes to Japan however: It is not such a free and happy society as you believe it is.

As I’m used to it that people tend to refer to women’s rights and equality when entering discussions like this with me, I can tell you that on that aspect in the society there needs also a lot to be done in a country like Japan. This is even clear in the different use of the language by men and women.

lt is also a country where suicide among young people forms a very real problem. And where children from almost baby-age are pushed to compete. There are for example insitutions where little children are trained in a -in my view- mercyless way: up at 5, eating breakfast while already in the classroom = eating while already being teached, and all day long like this until late in the evening. The program includes also training in extremely strict discipline and obedience on personal level. The goal of this education is to prepare children for the even more mercyless competition during all their years at school, even for simply being in the position to enter a good school.
For being admitted to the university the competition is that hard that those students who get through the admission tests know that they face 4 years of almost vacation when comparing it with what lies already behind them.

This is not a country I would my children to be raised, although I know very nice Japanese people and although of course their culture has many very ancient and valuable aspects.

I don’t now it there are people from Japan posting here, but if so: be so kind to correct me if I’m giving wrong, or incomplete and thus one sided, information. I received it from people in Japan and from other sources. So far I never vistited the country myself though.

As for your claim that people in NA, Europe and Japan are the most free, most educated, most healthy and most wealthy citizens in all of human history: I’m afraid I have to disagree.

Salaam. A

Lemur, Brazil is democratic and free BTW. Thou corruption still haunts us. :wink: Yep its personal taste for sure.

We have a lot of North Americans and Europena that live in Brazil and dont want to go back to the Rat Race of their native countries… just like we have Brazilians that prefer the more serious outlook and lifestyle of the first world.

Now it would be interesting to explain why there are higher suicide rates in first world countries ? We hear many rumours about Scandinavian countries having particularly high suicide rates…
(which does remind me about Mr.Smith in Matrix when he says they created a perfect world and billion died, whole “crops” died.)

You might want to check out:

Amesty International’s Human Rights scorcard for countries.

World Heath Organization’s statistical tables.

The list of G8 countries with respect to wealth.

What areas of the world, individually and collectively, dominate the world as the most free, most educated, most healthy, most wealthy, etc.?

Mores - pronounced moe-RAYS:

1. The accepted traditional customs and usages of a particular social group.
  2. Moral attitudes.
  3. Manners; ways.

Not to be confused with smores - a cookie of grahm cracker, marshmallow and chocolate that you always want s’more of.

Why do I find it normal to judge other people’s values? Well, because everybody does it. In this case “normal” just means behavior that you would expect from folks in a population.

But is it a bad thing to judge other cultures? Not necessarily. While I think it’s a mistake to be too smug about the rightness of your own culture, it would also be a mistake to think that any culture - no matter how repressive, destructive, worthless or whatever - is beyond reproach.

Well, jeepers, don’t leave us hanging. Please tell us who, in your opinion, are the most free, most educated, most healthy and most wealthy citizens in all of human history, and where thye live, so I can move there.

Is the question too broad? Countries and cultures are not the same thing at all.

I think you can judge a country. Mostly by its laws and government and economy - pluses for individual freedoms and safety; fairness and honesty and decent provision of services in government; a level of wealth allowing a decent lifestyle and eliminating grotesque inequalities. it’s a practical thing, and easy to rate better or worse. Though sometimes different facets might trade off to make it a hard call - less wealth, better health?

Culture, on the other hand, is where values are carried. Ideas of what’s right and wrong, what constitutes the good life. It’s much harder to argue with culture than with country. But I do think ethics can be rated - I tend to prioritise fairness (perhap because I’m an Aussie?)

Then if you include art, music and so on - it becomes even harder to rank. Aesthetics is much more subjective than ethics or civics.

Now, as to the actual answer, clearly Australia is the best place in the entire universe. Mate. :slight_smile:

A good discussion about moral and cultural relativism can be found here

Tom Jobim’s music alone is enough to make me want to live there…

Well, Europe has had plenty of oppressive regimes in the not-all-that-distant past ie: Germany, the USSR, Italy, and Romania. Serbia, Russia, Turkey and Spain aren’t exactly bastions of freedom either if you happen to be the wrong ethnic group, although things might be changing in Serbia. I haven’t really been paying much attention.

Jon

Spain?

It’s not unusual . . . after all, it is the green green . . . [sub]never mind[/sub]

Is my dyslexia getting worse . . damn that was a major blip. Sorry all, nothing here. Strange.

You ok ? … very strange…

Nice… might I recommend some of the newer stuff ? Marisa Monte is very good… different style of course.

Think, Tom Jones from a dyslexic without-his-brand-new-reading-glasses pov

Hey, I thought “Tom Jones” at first too. Buncha cultural imperialists, we are.

I’m speaking of the Basque nation. I’ll admit I don’t know much about the whole situation (hell, I’ll admit I don’t know much about anything 'cept rock N roll and food :slight_smile: ), but it seems to me, that they are oppressed by the Spanish government in much the same way as the Kurds in Turkey.
Jon