It may be a Novelty Song, but it’s also a *good* song

I love Frank Zappa and the Bonzo Dog Doodah Band, but I came here to mention John Kettley is Weatherman by A Tribe of Toffs.

You beat me to, “Spiders and Snakes.” I rediscovered it recently, and decided it was too catchy to be relegated to mere novelty status.

Cheech & Chong’s, “Earache my Eye” has a great parody of Alice Cooper & David Bowie at the beginning. “I OWN APARTMENT BUILDINGS AND SHOPPING CENTERS!!! I ONLY KNOW THREE CHORDS!!!” It’s only slightly hurt by replacing the need for an ending with a record scratch.

After posting about Zappa, I decided to listen to Joe’s Garage again. Really appreciating the song Joe’s Garage and should have added that and Dong Work for Yuda to my list.

Sorry, John, sorry. Better try it again.

Nice little tribute to Andy Griffith here.

Joe’s Garage should be adapted as a rock opera and staged on Broadway.

I don’t think Broadway is ready for Elron Hoover and Apliantology.

Today in the car, the “Petticoat Junction” theme came up on shuffle play and my wife made fun of me for having it in my playlist. Then a minute later she said, “That’s some good banjo work though.” Exactly! I have “The Ballad of Jed Clampett” in there too. Lester and Earl are beyond reproach.

Not to mention Dan Hicks himself. “Somebody Stole My Santa Claus Suit” has been my favorite Christmas song for about 25 years.

That reminds me of Ella Fitzgerald’s Santa Claus Got Stuck in my Chimney (YouTube link), which Ella sings so innocently that one is almost tempted to wonder if she got the risque double-entendre.

If commercials count, Chasing Gold is one of the best. Total ear worm.

Oh, if we’re doing commercials…

Istanbul (not Constantinople)

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Istanbul+Constantinople+Song&&view=detail&mid=F1DD51CF991EEAE07197F1DD51CF991EEAE07197&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DIstanbul%2BConstantinople%2BSong%26FORM%3DVDMHRS

I don’t know if this technically counts as “Novelty” but it’s a lot better than most movie themes that try to shove the title in somewhere.

I know the guy who wrote the lyrics to “Be Like Mike.” :smiley:

Love that flex. Wish there was a full-length version of it.

It’s a beautiful song, but it still counts as a novelty track because the lyrics are silly - and more importantly, because it’s based on a throwaway Simpsons gag:

Really, they ought to use this one:

@terentii Whoa, I’d forgotten about that album! I had that as a kid!

I had this album too (Christmas 1965):

WWI was in vogue during the mid-60s because it was the 50th anniversary. CBS devoted a whole documentary series to it, narrated by Robert Ryan. One of the best things ever on TV!