It takes an entire olive tree to produce one half liter bottle of olive oil!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Keeps the gears greased, don’t cha know.

I’m not saying taking a cupful, but a wee sip, maybe a teaspoon. I like doing that from time to time. But I love the taste of a good olive oil. Nothing to do with any health reasons, omega fatty acids, or anything like that. Any brand of olive oil I’ve never used before, that’s the first thing I do, so I know what it tastes like and then I could decide how I want to use it.

In my case, I understand completely but simply don’t care. It is multi-purpose and saves me from having to shelf multiple different bottles and grades of oil and worrying about them spoiling.

EV works perfectly well for most cooking without being either distracting or noticeable. For foods where it would obviously clash or overpower subtle flavors (brownies, french fries, light fish dishes, etc) then canola works instead.

All that. I use the stuff in blueberry muffins, for frying chicken, whatever, with no flavor issues. If I’m making a salad dressing or a dip I can grab it for that, too. Snobs gonna snob. Me, I’m just gonna enjoy my cooking.

Give me a some really good extra virgin, a loaf of crusty bread to dip in the oil, and a nice chianti and I’m one happy man. If you really want to spoil me give me some barrel aged balsamic as well.

Back to the beginning: the OP says that it takes a whole tree to produce half a liter of oil - the guide when I visited Israel said one farmer could live off of one or two trees. This doesn’t add up.

Yeah, this cite from an olive oil producer says one large tree can produce 5 liters of olive oil. This cite says 4.2L for an average tree. This Australian cite seems to say 11L per tree.

Do olives grow and ripen all at once, or do they sort of piecemeal it? Maybe one single harvest is worth half a liter, but there can be multiple (10?) harvests per tree?

Presumably it depends on the size of the tree? I own 30 pretty big trees in Italy which yield 70-80 litres of extra virgin.