Italian macaroni.

I never heard any of those abominations either until working at the Italian restaurant in '93. Someone asked for “pasta fazool” and I thought he had a speech impediment or possibly had burned his tongue on his “expresso.”

Another vote for macaroni with sauce, though often my parents would just say “We’re having ziti” or whatever.

All my great-grandparents were born in Italy, as was my maternal grandfather. My father grew up speaking Italian at home (in Providence, RI - big Italian enclave), and we’re in touch with our relatives (both sides) in Italy.

Those “Italo-Americanized” pronounciations of Italian foods drive me crazy.

Heh, I always heard the same thing, only my family is from Tuscany (Lucca) and settled in San Francisco.

I never heard the term “gravy” referring to sauce until I saw The Sopranos.

Ok all you pretentious, nose-in-the-air, abominated Italians. This thread is dedicated at Italian-Americans. Just remember who gave you the tomato, eh?
Anyway, you will assimilate. Resistance is futile. If not, well, hike your butts on back that nirvana where they won’t add some color to your precious culture.
The Sopranos, indeed. :rolleyes:
Scritch scritch scritch. (The sound of my fingers flipping out from under my chin at you) The “evil eye” comes next, if you keep it up.
:stuck_out_tongue:

You mean Cristoforo Colombo? He’s from Genoa, you know.
Oh, you mean the land. If you put it like this, 'tis certainly not you that gave tomato to the world.

[QUOTE=mangeorge]
Anyway, you will assimilate. Resistance is futile. /QUOTE]
So much for the respect for another’s culture. What’s next, imposing English?

What is it that upsets you so much in the discussions of people talking about such an important aspect of their culture?

Nobody mentioned them. Anyway, isn’t that stereotyping?

You ask a question, you get answers. You originally intended to aim this to Italo-Americans, and Italo-Americans (apart from me) are giving you answers.

If your post was intended as a joke, I’m afraid it was not funny. :rolleyes:

Apologies, there was a small error in the markup of my last post. Allow me to correct it here:

So much for the respect for another’s culture. What’s next, imposing English?

**Demo['i], in post #23 mentioned the Sopranos. I’ve never had the pleasure of watching the show.
CC brought the tomato, in the hire of the Spanish queen, to Europe from the nice folks in the americas. I think.
Someone else, not me, called the influence of Italian-Americans on the culture (language, actually) of old Italy an abomination. An opinion, sure, but kinda snooty. What’s that word, the one that means language grows with exposure to other languages?
I appreciate the answers. I don’t really appreciate those who ridicule an important, and dear to me, part of my culture. But that’s ok. I can handle it.
And yes, my post was, in part, a joke.
Now go to your room.