Italian seismologists charged with manslaughter for not foreseeing L'Aquila earthquake

Whether the building codes were faulty is not relevant to whether these scientists were also at fault for their own roles. Bringing up building codes is an attenpt at distraction.

I’m not saying they were negligent. All I’m saying is that that writer says that the accusations against them were not merely that they failed to correctly predict the earthquake, but that they were criminally negligent (or worse).

Whether the evidence justified that verdict is something I have no opinion on.

Aaaaannnd who couldn’t have seen this coming:

“We won’t advise the state again.”

I can envision a documentary sometime in the future — “Follow us now as we enter the seedy world of the Italian seismologist…”

‘Psst, buddy! Hey, buddy, over here! Wanna buy a seismological prediction?’

And Capt Ridley’s Shooting Party is absolutely right: no way in hell is Ireland anywhere *near *as badly governed as Italy. I live in Ireland, I know exactly what a godawful mess it is, and it’s not in the same universe. Ireland is fucked up, small-minded and corrupt; Italy is FUCKING FULL-ON SCREAMING INSANE.

How is it possible a seismologist performing in the capacity of a seismologist CAN be criminally negligent?

Surely you have an opinion on that to even bring this up, much less devil’s advocate this guys point of view.

I am not familiar with Italian law. But it would make sense if they deliberately or negligently understated the likelihood of an earthquake, especially if due to ulterior motives, that it might be criminal.

No, I brought it up because the verdict - and even the charges - seemed completely outrageous, and I happened to notice this guy who had another perspective, which I think is worth considering.

In any event, the distinction between the charges and the verdict should be kept clear.

What this source is claiming is that the charges are not for simply failing to predict the earthquake but for deliberately or negligently understating it. If true, that means that the mere fact of the charges is not as outrageous as would be the case otherwise. But even if true, that does not mean that these scientists were guilty as charged. IOW it could be that they were charged with professional negligence but were factually innocent of professional negligence. To know the answer to the latter question you have to have followed the evidence as presented in court, and I did not. That’s what I have no opinion on (although I’m frankly not sure of the first issue either, as above).