It's Time For My Occasional Reminder About Screws

I think the packaging on my carbon monoxide detector gave it a usable life of 7 years.

As for smoke detectors…when I was growing up, I don’t think my parents ever replaced the smoke detector near the kitchen. It was (inadvertently) tested on a very regular basis, and was always very quick to respond. I’m sure the manufacturer would recommend periodic replacement, though probably not as frequently as a carbon monoxide detector.

Yes. Most have a “good to” date printed on them.

yeah carbon monoxide (CO) detectors are good for 7 years.

ionization smoke detectors are good for about 10 years.

there are battery smoke alarms now that have a 10 year nonreplaceable battery inside. a safety factor against dead batteries not being replaced or a too old alarm.

Another good idea: about once a year, pull the negative cable off your car battery and clean up the post with a tool designed for the job. This is more important if you have a vehicle that sits for long periods, like a stored RV. I learned my lesson when I pulled over in a remote area to pee and then found that my vehicle wouldn’t start again. Wouldn’t have been a big deal, but I had no tools with me. I do the RV battery every spring, now.

I bought a bargain smoke detector. The instructions say, “for best results hold directly over flame”.

(stolen from a stand-up routine by I forget who)
mmm

Perhaps some veteran woodworkers can chime in on this but I subscribe to the Wood Screw Hypothesis which states that you should always return a removed wood screw to the hole it was removed from. The idea is that wood screws are not exactly identical so variations in thread manufacture will force the screw to bite into different wood, eventually stripping the hole. I know it sounds bogus but I still do it religiously.

BTW: Not applicable to machine scews, but especially important for lag screws.

I don’t think it’s that important for wood screws, because the elasticity of the wood is greater than the variance in screw threads.

I am a subscriber of the “jam toothpicks in there, if it’s loose.” Adding wood glue helps too, if it’s important.

I re-set it after I lose power. Usually.

The screws around my dwelling(s) that always seem to be the loosest are those on light switch and outlet plates. This inevitably causes them to crack with the slightest knock if not tightened regularly.