Ivan the Terrible comes to Pittsburgh

Laugh all you want. When the final days of the apocalypse are upon us, who do think will still have potato chips and pretzels? :stuck_out_tongue:

Berlin PA?

:smiley:

There are Snyders in Berlin, too, ya know… :stuck_out_tongue:

fyi, Carroll County, Md. was formed in 1836 by taking a piece of then Baltimore County to the east and Frederick County to the west. The residents complained that the distance to either county seat was too great. :slight_smile:

Heh

Oddly enough, East Berlin, PA is only about 7 miles up Harrisburg Street from Hanover, but they don’t have any snack food plants up there. :wink:

I was going to complain that, over here, it was so bone dry that we needed something like that! Then the sky opened up here too in Phoenix! Nowhere close as the downpour that is going on over your neck of the woods though.

Glad to hear you are doing ok Kat, take care.

I think one of the dumbasses’ cars is pictured in the link of the news bit.

Does anyone know if Siege is okay?

She’s all right-she posted a check in thread in MPSIMS.

I remember the '86 flood-I was only seven, but I remember we weren’t sure if my dad was okay at the for an hour or so-he was at work, and we couldn’t reach him.
He did make it home, but we were left without power for a few days. But that only affected those of us in the North Hills, not all of Pittsburgh, and the outlying counties. Gov. Rendell declared several of them under state of emergency this time.

Etna-my parents lived in Etna when I was first born, but I don’t remember the apartment. Right after that, we lived in Millvale for a few years, which I DO remember, and I think my dad said our old neighborhood was one of the areas flooded. I know both areas well-right across from the Blarney Stone is Aliottos Pizza, where we used to go all the time when I was just a kid. I’ll bet they’re totally destroyed as well.

Lang was on the phone with KDKA news last night, keeping them up to date of her situation.

[sub]Oh, and Poly? Ivan was of the Rurik dynasty. His first wife, Anastasia Feodorovna, was a Romanov-her nephew was the first Romanov Tsar, Mikhail I[/sub]

Well, it’s the day after The Great Deluge, and it’s absolutely beautiful outside, if a bit chilly. It’s still pretty muddy, though, so an outing to the park is a bad idea, what with Aaron’s predilection for mud puddles. :wink:

Robin

Meh. Home’s a farm. My Step-dad’s at war with the farmer renting his land & the one just West of us, so they’ve been digging competing drainage ditches into eachother’s lawn for a year. After even normal Ohio rain, our front lawn’s got ducks swimming in it for a week.

Everything’s all right here. In fact, I’m sitting here at the computer with a handsome man on the couch and the Steeler game on the television (it’s a shame they’re not winning). As it happens, I went home early on Friday night with a slight case of food poisoning, and both guys spent the evening with me. HJay lost power, but otherwise we didn’t take any damage.

Has anyone heard from Steelerphan, catsix, or Chicago Faucet?

If you’ll excuse me, I think I’ll get back to that fellow on the couch now, but thanks for asking.

CJ

Did anyone else have a visual picture of Siege rowing by houses on a canoe?
Just me, eh?

:slight_smile:
Have fun with your guy, knowing the Browns ain’t gonna do any better than the Steelers.

vanilla, an Oilers fan for some odd reason :o

Just got a call from my parents who live in the Susquehanna floodplain, along with my entire immediate family. The river crested three feet below flooding by Wilkes-Barre, so they and my little brother escaped without harm. The little dork proceeded to walk to the dike, two blocks from his dorm room, to check it out while rain was still falling. After losing her home to Agnes during high school, Mom’s always been a bit scared of floods and nearly killed him for it.

Ah, my family. Nuts, but I love them. And am very happy they’re alright. :slight_smile:

Drove from Pittsburgh to Cincinnati on Friday, in the midst of the rain. There was pretty bad flooding all the way down US 19, and along I-70 until about Zanesville, Ohio.

Work called tonight to say that I have to report in the morning as usual, but that the building is still without water because the flooding took out a pump station. The closest working bathrooms to where I work are about 20 minutes drive away. I might call out tomorrow.

Now I am 100% sure my boss is mentally ill.

My house is fine and safe. The creek out back did not come this high, and the well is still supplying potable water. The drive Friday was pure misery, though. It came down in buckets, and many roads were closed. I hope work is closed tomorrow, but my boss is such an ass that I bet it won’t be unless the health department shows up to fine him for having people working in a building with no running water of any kind.

I think a nice little anonymous phone call to OSHA or the local health department is in order…

If I could make 100% sure he wouldn’t know who called, that’d be a damn fine idea.

A twenty minute drive away is not ‘alternative accomodations’.

Give your information to someone you trust, catsix, and have them make the call. There are laws in place about that sort of thing.

An elderly member of the church we attended when we lived in Pittsburgh broke her hip as she tried to make it through ankle-deep sludge in her basement. She fell into the muck, which must be presumed to be contaminated with raw sewage. She has to get a series of vaccinations now, in addition to the surgery for her hip, and I can’t imagine how awful it must’ve been for her – she was down for about ten minutes before anyone was able to get her up and out.

A dear friend of ours in Heidelberg has lost everything. Everything. Her home is going to have to be demolished. She spent today trying to find anything which might be salvagable. Many things she held dear simply floated away. She said that Heidelberg and Carnegie look like third world countries or something even worse, and that none of the businesses on the main streets are going to be able to open tomorrow, or any time in the foreseeable future. Her husband works for the Chevy dealership on Mansfield Boulevard in Carnegie and they had 300 new cars either float away or ruined by water. They’re estimating the loss at nearly $6 million. I’m just confounded by the enormity of the destruction.

My heart is with everyone in Pittsburgh and all of the flooded areas. Please be safe in the cleanup, folks.

That one affected the North Hills pretty badly, but the flood I remember from living in the Mon Valley was in November of 1985.

I was on a field trip to Fallingwater the day the flood hit, and we were stranded on the wrong side of the river for hours. We finally found that the bridge in Charleroi wasn’t closed, and we made our way back to Ringgold after crossing it.

In Monongahela, the bus drove through about 18 inches of water. In retrospect, this was a breathtakingly stupid risk to take.

We wound up having lots of friends and relations coming to our house to shower and do laundry, since we lived on a ridge and had a well. All municipal water systems, which drew from the river, were shut down for about two weeks.

This service was repeated some time later when the Ashland tank ruptured, and sent all of that diesel fuel into the river.

I live downriver from Pittsburgh in Wheeling WVa. I work, however about 45 minutes North in Steubenville Ohio. this Friday, I didn’t make it home since the roads south were either burried under mudslides, or under water. Even routs to Pittsburgh were closed, the on ramps to the bridges over the Ohio were under water. They got 22 to Pittsburgh open Sunday, which is nice since that was how I had to get home, going from Steubenville Ohio, to Pittsburgh, to Wheeling. Check it out on a map, this is not the short cut. :slight_smile:

Got home Saturday night. Despite living on a large hill, I had water in my basement due to seepage from ground saturation, spent Sunday cleaning it out.

Still, considering that most of the lowlying areas down the Ohio are still under water, and what others have suffered, it could have been a much worse weekend.