I've Been Offered a Job I Don't Want; Advice?

Take it and keep looking.

I voted the first option, and I wouldn’t feel bad about it. Take the job and keep looking. I have turned down two job offers before, but that’s because they were completely in a different field than mine, and I was a good bit younger with higher risk tolerance. The main problem with those jobs other than I’d hate them is that they would not have allowed me the time and flexibility I needed to build up my business. So I chose to concentrate on my business instead and made it work. BUT if I didn’t have that convenient excuse, I would have at least seriously considered them, because money is money and I don’t feel the need for any company loyalty.

Since you need insurance, IMO it would be irresponsible to look a gift horse in the mouth. If you’re deadset against doing the job long-term, look for a better option while on break/downtime.

Isn’t your employer also looking? I mean, if someone else better qualified than you willing to work for less came along, wouldn’t they fire you and hire them instead? (discounting the transactional costs and risks of doing that)

Take the job, try to make it work but keep your options open.

It sounds like the type of job where they wouldn’t want to hire the kind of people who would actually stay there very long.

It’s also true that it’s much easier to find work when you don’t need a job.

We have both state and federal COBRA laws here, so I’m not sure what applies in your situation, but here, if you take the job and then leave it (even voluntarily) you start an 18-month COBRA eligibility so you can keep that health insurance at the group rate. I had to pay $700 a month on a previous COBRA, where there were fewer and older employees in that group. If I leave the job I have now, since there’s more and younger employees, I would get 18 months of coverage at the group rate of only $400. That might make it worth taking the lousy job if it gives you extended access to a low group rate.

Typically no. Companies don’t work like that.

It’s easier to find a job while you have a job. Without a job, many employers assume you’re damaged goods and your resume goes straight in the trash. Take it and keep looking.

Yup. Split shifts are pretty awful, but time to interview in the middle of a day is awesome.

Get back to work and keep looking. I recently went through a jobless period and was fortunate it was short and I landed a good job very quick. But my brother and thousands of others can tell you it just keeps getting tougher.

To expand - hiring is expensive and laying people off is expensive. Getting rid of someone who is doing an acceptable job raises your unemployment insurance premiums. You’d need to hire people with super powers to get enough benefit from replacing acceptable employees.

Many places encourage self termination to reduce UI increases.

That seems pretty extreme.

Do you receive unemployment? If so, how does it compare to what you’re getting from that? Is this company a place you even want to advance in?

Self termination is the exact phrase I heard one time when someone was describing the hiring and firing process at the company to someone recently promoted to a management role in another city. If employees are problematic, they write up violations until there is a pretty big stack and then “we encourage them to self terminate,”. Don’t ask me why they were having this conversation within earshot of me - I got along with my manager and I believe he found me to be very discreet (of course except when I’m writing about it on the internet, but the anonymity of the forum makes it OK to me). I think he just wasn’t worried about it.

Anyhow, it was interesting to hear because two employees had just quit, so, you know there may have been more to their stores. Also I was wondered exactly what they did to encourage them.

Another interesting thing about the conversation was how different the policy was in different cities even within the same company, in one city the turnover rate was much different than another and it depended on variables such as labor pool and general regional employment practices. In one of the cities, the first 3 weeks were sort of a trial period and if it was not working out they would let them someone go. The majority of people probably did not make it past 3 weeks, but the ones that did had a better chance of fitting in.

I would take the job and keep looking. With near minimum wage pay and undesirable working hours, this doesn’t sound like the kind of job that anyone would expect to make a career out of. It’s a job-for-now kind of job. If the employer is sane, they will expect high turnover.

Yes, Mr. Nylock, I did understand what “self-termination” meant. I was making a joke. :smack:

:smack: I thought you were serious for some reason, but that seems silly now.

Like most of the others are saying, take the job and keep on looking. Don’t forget - it’s always said that it’s easier to find a job if you have a job. Simply by being employed you become a more valuable commodity for other prospective employers.

StG