Jackson Browne, "Stay" - Who sang falsetto?

Yep, that’s the one. Thanks. Then who is that singing in that song?
Anyone?

Roger Hodgson

I always thought that the woman sounded a lot like Robert John ("Sad Eyes’; “The Lion Sleeps Tonight”), who could sound a lot like a female singer when he was belting out the high notes.

Definitely a classic.

David Lindley sounds like Frankie Valli of the Four Seasons.

Sounds like a Zombie to me.

Only if you think all falsettos sound alike. Which they don’t.

Seven Ate Sweet for your pleasure, folks.

Grrrr Grrr gr Grrr-r-rrrrr
Grrr ga grr grr grr gaaaa-gaaaaa

What’s your name? Uh, MikeF…
*Who’s your daddy? *MichaelFsenior, why?
He rich? Look, what is this about?
Is he rich like me? Stranger Danger! I don’t know you!

In Jackson Browne: Story of a Hold Out there is a note that Running On Empty was the first album JB made with any female band members. There’s also some verbiage about the record company releasing Stay to the radio stations to put him on the charts and then releasing The Load Out/Stay months later to extend his time on the charts (and sell more albums). Very strategic.

I recall an interview with JB about the various songs of that album. He said the crowd was cheering for the return of their (female) keyboardist to the stage and he was sure it was specifically about her and her return because they had done the show at other venues and either kept her on stage or had other band members leave and return and they never got the same response. I would guess, therefore, that the keyboardist was quite nice to look at(?)

As for the falsetto, JB said in the interview that they sometimes invited a random roadie to come on and do that part (tying in with The Load Out praising the roadies) but the one that made the album was DL doing it.

–G!
The interviewer’s name escapes me now and it’s bugging me. She did a regular Sunday night series of these talk-about-your-best-selling-album interviews. I heard the show in San Diego when she was on the air there, and found out decades later that she’s up in Los Angeles – and has recently moved to yet another Classic Rock oriented station.

Talk about a blast from the past…
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When David Lindley was asked to play on the Linda Ronstadt/Dolly Parton/Emmylou Harris album Trio, he asked what instruments they wanted him to bring, they said “Bring it all.” He brought a truckload of stringed instruments. He wanted to be ready for anything.

He also plays on Jackson Browne’s Love is Strange live album, and countless tracks for many other musicians. Let’s not forget the Twango Bango albums with eclectic drummer Wally Ingram.