Japanese eat pizza with gloves?

how about the French and pizza? I have french friends from France who eat their pizza with a knife and fork… weird! Oh well. The Italians, in Italy, DON’T slide their pizzas in triangle slices, but in squares, then they fold like a pita and CIAO down :smiley:

Bella Italia!!!

That’s true, although I’ve noticed that the Japanese don’t seem to be big on hot spicy foods. Kimchi, curry, mabodofu, shrimp with chili sauce… all seem toned down from what you’d normally expect. On the other hand, pizza does come with packets of Tabasco sauce…

ummm, “slide” should have been SLICE (must be this cheap Australian wine I’m sipping).

Relatively speaking, I don’t think Japanese are that into hot food. Japanese kimchi is much milder than Korean kimchi, or so I’ve heard. I do know that Japanese ramen is less spicier than Korean ramen - I only ate Japanese ramen when I lived in the US, and when I came Korea and had my first Korean ramen, I had to water it down before I could eat it without feeling my mouth was on fire.

slight hijack: Do the Japanese sprinkle corn on their pizza? I’m wondering if this is a Korean thing only, or that this peculiarity is shared by our neighbors.

Yes, corn is not an unusual pizza topping in Japan. Regarding ramen, from what I know of Korean tastes, I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t the case that Japanese ramen was toned down as much as it was that Korean ramen was toned up.

Ummm… used underwear vending machines? New and clean underwear vending machines would even seem a little odd, yet they could have their uses. But used underwear machines?? Is that for real?

If you translate “used underwear” into “used schoolgirl panties” it might be a little bit less crazy. They do exist, although they are not nearly as common as certain segments of the Internet would lead you to believe. I’ve never actually seen one.

Ohh. I see. Out of a machine, too. Hmm.

Well, it is nice that people are recycling. Hate to see old pairs of panties just getting thrown out!

Some of those foods are a little greasy, but if you think any of them are spicy, oily, and heavy like an American-style pizza, you are judging them by Japanese standards. Except for tonkatsu of course, but people don’t eat that every day.

And I stand behind the statement that pizza is outside the mainstream of routine consumption among foods in Japan. McDonalds, KFC, and a number of fast food outlets do exist in Japan, but they are not as frequently or heavily patronized as they are in the US. For every slice of pizza a Japanese eats, I guarantee you they eat a hundred meters of weakly seasoned soba.

I have to agree with what scr4 said. There was a pizza place across from my mansion in Wakayama, and always seemed very busy whenever I stopped by. Similarly, the KFC, McDonalds, and Mos Burgers near my mansion did a healthy business. After school they were absolutely packed with school kids. In general, I would say that their didn’t seem to be much difference in customer traffic from fast food places in the US.

MMmmmmm… gloves…

Snopes’ take on the subject: http://www.snopes.com/risque/kinky/panties.htm

I still don’t get it.

It’s not really worth getting, but if you still want to know, check this out.

Some restaurants here often don’t give you the mushy daikon when you eat tempura - I have to ask for it. It is very tasty, much better with than without.

Yes, but Pizza starts off round.

Go find the penny in the Round room by the corner. Trust me, its there. :smack:

That must have been a fun search. :slight_smile:

“sideways NOT giamatti AND”

…um…