Jazz is crap

It’s so subjective… To many of his predecessors and contemporaries, Stravinsky was “cacophanous noodling”. Same for anyone who went a little “out”. If you don’t “get” it, that’s ok. You really don’t need to. I don’t “get” Kenny G. Eventually, people that do enjoy such “noodling” do realize patterns and frameworks or reactions to them at the least. It’s completely up to the individual to decide where “crap” ends and “beautiful music” starts.

Sweet Basil

Uke, Sweet Basil, thank you. Sorry for the non-pit like behaviour here but I’m much obliged.

Jazz I have really enjoyed generally falls into the 30s period…Fletcher Henderson, Benny Goodman, Count Basie, et al. I’ll have to listen to some be-bop to get a feel for that.

The noodling I’m referring to must be more modern; probably an attempt to “paint with sound” a la Jackson Pollack. I’m sure there is an idea behind it, and maybe a pattern…but I’ll never subject myself to enough of it to figure out what that is.

Very nice synopsis of the jazz scene, Uke. When you going to discuss piano styles? As you probably know, I’m a pretty big fan of Ocsar Peterson and Art Tatum. Of course, Tatum was a Toledo native, so I’m a bit biased.

That it is unwise to be heedless ourselves while we are giving advice to others, I will show in a few lines.
– Phædrus –

Bravo, Uke.

Formerly unknown as “Melanie”

Unc:

Piano styles, piano styles…

How’s this?

James P. Johnson
Willie “The Lion” Smith
Jelly Roll Morton
Fats Waller
Earl Hines
Teddy Wilson
Art Tatum
Mary Lou Williams
Bud Powell
Thelonious Monk
Erroll Garner
Lennie Tristano
John Lewis
Oscar Peterson
Horace Silver
Bill Evans
Cecil Taylor
Herbie Hancock
Chick Corea
Joe Zawinul
Marcus Roberts
Cyrus Chestnut.

That should cover it, from barrelhouse and stride to retro-barrelhouse and stride. (I’ve left out pianists who are better-known as arrangers and bandleaders, like Ellington, Basie, Kenton, Jay McShann, Gil Evans, George Russell, etc.)

For descriptions of the individual styles of the above ivory-tinklers, send two box-tops and $150 to Ukulele Ike, care of this station.

Uke

As much as I hate Miles Davis ( and believe me, I HATE miles Davis), He did bring Jazz out of a rut that it was in. and his style did influence one of my favourite artists,
Gil Scott Heron. Im not a great Jazz fan, but hearing Gil sing “Pieces of a Man”, amazing.

Oh, fro all the people on this side of the Atlantic, Dark Wing Duck’s ideology of a jazz fan is best represented in Jazz Club, on the Fast Show.

In the next century much of “avant-garde” classical will be forgotten in favor of the real “classical” music of the century - JAZZ.

“Jazz” was judged the word of the century by some dictionary society (I forget) this year.

Uke, ye dunna like Mose Allison ?

Yeah, Mose is okay. I don’t see him as any great ground-breaker, hence his non-appearance on the above list. Hell, one of my TOP choice piano-players is Phineas Newborn, and he didn’t make the list either…being a kinda modernist version of Tatum. Herbie Nichols broke new ground, but nobody followed him, so he’s sort of a fascinating dead end…Dodo Marmarosa and Hampton Hawes I could listen to all day, but how different ARE they from a dozen other bebop pianists?

I’ve always wanted to have t-shirts made up that read

Classical Music…
EUROPE’S JAZZ

Hey Ike!
What about Hammond Organists?? Do you have a list of them? (see profile…)

Sweet Basil

SB:

I remember when I first heard Jimmy Smith on the Hammond B-3…I saw GAWD.

(note to neophytes: One of the interesting offshoots of the soul/funk movement of the late '50s was the rise of the Organ Combo.
Philadelphia, for some reason, was the epicenter of this phenom.
Generally made up of an alto or tenor saxophone, electric guitar, and a Hammond B-3 [sometimes drums were added, but never bass…the organist was expected to handle the bass-line via pedalboard].
These combos made some of the moodiest, smokiest, three-ay-emiest jazz ever recorded.
Jimmy Smith was considered to be the Charlie Parker of the jazz electric organ. Other men considered to be hot stuff were/are Brother Jack McDuff, Sir Charles Thompson, and Jimmy McGriff.)

Uke

True 'nuff, Uke… I was thinking about Allison’s sarcastic/ironic lyrics, feeding DWDuck’s fear of the “uppity” jazz scene.

BTW, you’re starting to remind me of my old schoolmate Phil Schaap…

I stayed away from posting in this topic long enough.

K, hear me out. I listen to many types of music; hard rock, classic rock, classical, new age, jazz, smooth jazz, country, pop etc. I am not one to poopoo anything except rap…that’s where I draw the line.

I have Nirvana, Queensryche, Bach, Vivaldi, Sade, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Alan Jackson, Chris Isaak, Eddie Money, Harry Conick Jr., etc. I don’t limit myself.

My latest aquisition (sp?) of a CD is a smooth jazz CD, I posted in MPSIMS, here’s the link, you need Real Player to hear it, but take a listen you non-jazz likers and see if by chance you might find it as sexy and soulful as I do. If not that’s cool too.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000604C/102-9532216-1933622
Sheesh, just because one likes a form of music hate doesn’t meant the world is coming to an end < grin. >

Good List Ike!
I like McGriff way more than Smith…

Father: Jimmy Smith
Son: Joey DeFrancesco
Holy Ghost: Larry Young

Sweet Basil

Yeah, McGriff has done several tasty little discs over the past few years with Hank Crawford, the alto player.

Crawford and Lou Donaldson are the fellows who made me write “tenor OR alto saxophone” in the earlier post, being the only two altoists I know who regularly or irregularly perform with organ groups.

The tenor sax was much more common in these combos…you can really THROB with a tenor, and it sounds good with that leslie thing going on in the Hammond. Ike Quebec and Sonny Stitt did some nice tenor work in organ groups.

Uke

Bringing this baby back up to the top . . .

After watching that PBS show on jazz this week, I went through my old 78s and see that I have a recording of Handy’s Orchestra playing “Livery Stable Blues” and “That ‘Jazz’ Dance.” For some reason I noted that it’s from 1918, though I can’t recall where I got that date . . .

Any of you Jazzbos know if I have a treaure here? Worth any moola?

Bringing this baby back to the top . . .

After watching that jazz show on PBS, I checked my pile of 78s and see that I have a recording of Handy’s Orchestra playing “Livery Stable Blues” and “That ‘Jazz’ Dance.”

Any of you Jazzbos know if this is a treasure I should be auctioning off on eBay?

Bringing this baby back to the top . . .

After watching that jazz show on PBS, I checked my pile of 78s and see that I have a recording of Handy’s Orchestra playing “Livery Stable Blues” and “That ‘Jazz’ Dance.”

Any of you Jazzbos know if this is a treasure I should be auctioning off on eBay?

Here come Ukulele “Every Other Post” Ike, again, hide your daughters.

The famous recording of “Livery Stable Blues” was by the Original Dixieland Jazz Band…it was supposed to be the first jazz recording ever, and it sold several million copies.

Since it sold several million copies, there are a whole helluva lot of them left out there; several thousand, anyway. Couldn’t be too valuable.

And what you have there is a cover of the tune by “Handy’s Orchestra.” Would this be W.C. Handy? Any clue on the label?

Uke

waving arms

Johnny Hodges! Johnny Hodges!

On the other end of the love/hate spectrum:

Personally, I’d like to spend a weekend hitting Kenny G in the testicles with a mallet. I hate that guy. Everytime I hear him (elevator, dentists’ office, re-education camp), he uses one particular note as a backbone for his riffs that makes my fillings vibrate. I don’t know what note it is, but it sounds roughly like a garbage truck backing over a goose. Curly-haired spawny get.

-sb

They say the Lord loves drunks, fools and little children.
Two out of three ain’t bad.