Jerry Sandusky's Jury

If the defense ever did want to tie JoePa to this case, that idea has probably been scrapped. Shit got real when witnesses started testifying. It seems like the defense has no strategy at all, or else a very poor one. Their assertion that the witnesses are trying to get money makes absolutely no sense in the case of Mike McQueary, whose cross-examination they compoletely botched according to MSNBC.

On top of everything else, people have been saying since before the trial began that he seems to have a bad lawyer. Of course how much that would even matter is sort of up for debate. But I still don’t think Paterno was part of the strategy here. If the goal is to say these guys are trying to extort money from Sandusky, it doesn’t matter if Joe Paterno liked him. What matters is that a series of guys are speaking graphically about what Sandusky did to them, and if the defense can’t do anything about that, I don’t think it would matter if Paterno levitated into the courtroom and testified for the defense.

If Paterno could have acted as a character witness I think the defense would have used him. They were apparently considering using surviving Paterno family members for that purpose.

Today Mike McQueary’s dad testified that he had no recollection of his testimony before the grand jury in December or even that he was in the courthouse. (He was, and he did testify). That seems very odd. He did, however, remember his phone conversation with Mike 11 years ago.

Good, I hate that prick.

Shit.

I hate him more than you do. That son of a bitch never met a campaign contribution he didn’t like, and he never met a campaign contributor he didn’t give a blow job to. And those blow jobs are costing this state way more than we can afford. But that’s a different thread.

My dad went to school with him, and said even in elementary school, he was a dick. There are signs all over here saying, “Tom Corbett: Every Child Left Behind.” Let’s cut everyone’s taxes, and strip the schools to the bare bones, but heaven forbid we ask any sacrifices from Marcellus Shale.
(His wife was one of my troop leaders when I was in Girl Scouts. How she can support these kinds of education cuts I’ll never know. And before you ask, yes, she was very nice)
As far as trying to set things up for an appeal, if this is what Sandusky’s lawyers are doing, and they’re doing it deliberately, can’t they be held in contempt?

Wouldn’t you have to prove that they were doing this deliberately?
Instead of, you know, actually being incompetent.

Why would lawyers want to drag out a case like this? Sandusky is rich, but even the costs from this one trial ought to pretty well tap him out. (Anyone want to make some estimates of JD’s lawyer bills?) So if the lawyers suck out all of Jerry’s cash, would they want to, or be required to, go to appeals? Why?

I may be getting my ‘celebrity’ sleeze stories confused, but isn’t this lawyer the guy that fathered a child with a minor? Or am I confusing this story with another one I heard?

Correct, Joe Amendola, Sandusky’s lawyer, impregnated a 16 year old.

As a character witness, sure. I was referring to your earlier comments that the defense was going to tie Sandusky to Joe Paterno so the jurors would let him off because they wouldn’t want to convict Joe Paterno of doing anything wrong. That doesn’t sound so workable after half a dozen guys have testified that the defendant sexually abused and blackmailed them.

No. But you’d have to prove your lawyer’s performance was significantly below professional standards and that there’s a good chance have made a difference in your case if the lawyer had done a competent job.

Humbert Humbert for the defense.

Yeah, you were right, which is why I said if that ever actually was their plan, they probably scrapped it after the first few witnesses. After the testimony so far, even the biggest JoePa/PSU fan in the world couldn’t possibly sweep that shit under the rug.

You left out the best/worst part - Amondola had previously represented her when she filed for emancipation from her parents, while she was working at his law practice.