Jesus' Death and Salvation

None of this is actually in the Bible (JFTR).

Polycarp pretty much nailed the explanation, Christian sacrificial soteriology has its roots in ancient animal sacrifice. People used to sacrifice animals because they thought that was what God wanted. They assumed that God was especially partial to perfect, unblemished “holy” animals. The Pascal lamb was a pure white lamb with no flaw. After the crucifixion, early Christians needed to find a way to explain the execution of their leader in spiritual terms. He became identified as a surrogate for the Pascal lamb, the ultimate animal sacrifice, God in human form sacrificing himself for all mankind. Why God would require a blood sacrifice is simply an archaism. Why do any gods require any sacrifices? Frankly, in very ancient times, people thought they were feeding the gods. It was just that simple. Later the animal sacrifices were seen as more symbolic – people were giving the best they had to God to show proper respect – and the Pascal-surrogate symbology has been heavily mystified with Jesus, but the actual mechanism for sacrifice bringing atonement still boils down to an arbitrary demand by God.

Frankly, without Adam and Eve/Original sin, the whole thing falls apart anyway.

So the whole thing about Jesus’ sacrifice was added sometime after the bible?

Absolutely not – Paul’s letters and Hebrews are full of references to it. The Jesus-went-to-Limbo-to-free-the-Jews-and-virtuous-pagans part is what he referred to as added on.

Exactly so. I should have been more clear.

I Peter 3:18-20, 4:6
18. Because Christ also suffered for sins once, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God; being put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;
19. in which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison,
20. that aforetime were disobedient, when the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water:
21. which also after a true likeness doth now save you, even baptism, not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the interrogation of a good conscience toward God, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ;
22. who is one the right hand of God, having gone into heaven; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.

1. For unto this end was the gospel preached even to the dead, that they might be judged indeed according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
    Ephesians 4-
  2. But unto each one of us was the grace given according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
  3. Wherefore he saith, When he ascended on high, he led captivity captive, And gave gifts unto men.
  4. (Now this, He ascended, what is it but that he also descended into the lower parts of the earth?
  5. He that descended is the same also that ascended far above all the heavens, that he might fill all things.)

To me, the key of Jesus’s Sacrifice being our salvation is in His status as Immanuel- God with us- In Jesus, the Creator shares our pains & joys & mortality so that we might join in His Eternity.
A completely normal or easy life would not have communicated that Empathic Love- so however good Jesus may have had mortal life before setting out on His public mission, it had to include His flesh ripped & blood spilled & heart broken as He knew abandonment by trusted friends & seemingly by the God Whose Essence He shared.

None of this is spelled out in the Hebrew Scriptures- tho it can be read back into them (the Suffering Servant passages of Isaiah most of all)- Hebrew religious thought varied from no afterlife at all, to soul-sleep until Resurrection, to Afterlife in Sheol or Paradise or Gehenna Hell until Resurrection.

If I thought it would make a certain someone happy, I’d mention the theory that Mother Mary shares in the Redeeming Ministry of her Son- but that someone would still make Mary out the victim of Patriarchal Religion.

Sheesh, this whole concept is so weird. An all-powerful being creates some defective, uninformed underlings because he/she/it craves companionship and worship (why?), then to cover for their errors, and knowing in advance that the one and only way to fix it is to let the insignificant pipsqueaks kill him, (or at least a part of him) - but he was never really dead, anyway.

So when you clear out the subplots and unnecessary characters, basically God killed himself for his own entertainment. Eternity is a long time. I guess you get psychotic after 10^googolplex years?