"Jewlery" vs. "Jewelry" and other commonly mispronounced words.

Sorry, hon, you weren’t in the thread then.
To get the Bawlmer “o” you need to listen to that “Crabs for Christmas” song (the pop stations play it incessantly in December :rolleyes: ). The chorus is all Bawlmer “o” 's.
“O-o-o-o-o-o… I want crabs for Christmas!”

Ahh, the Bawlmer “o.”

It’s more of a “ayoaw.” Almost Cockney. “Down” is pronounced “daown.” Watch the early John Waters films for classic Bawlmerese: Pink Flamingos, Female Trouble (his newer films are too New Yorky).

“Ah onnerstan’, Ah onnerstan’!”

I had a boss who had this same problem. No offense, Annie-Xmas, but it drove me bat-shit. I still think you’re the bee’s knees, but…aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh!

This is news to me. When I saw the title of this thread I nearly chocked on my breakfast. It’s only ever been jewellery in this part of the world. I have heard people say jewelry but always assumed it was a mispronunciation.

One which annoys me and it only seems to be people from the US who say this, is Anartica. There is another t and c in Antarctica.

Preview, preview, preview…choked!!! :wally

My son says either “brekfuss” or “bekfrest”, not “breakfast.” Which, to be fair, isn’t even pronounced that way…

My biggest pet peeves have been covered: “heighth” and the mangling of “jewelry”. Personally, my least favorite version of “jewelry” is when it comes out “JOO-ree.” What does this guy ;j have to do with it?? I mean, I know he could have been involved, but it’s not a guarantee!

My mother used to warsh the clothes in aour warshing machine, and the dishes in the dishwarsher. It drove me crazy for twenty years. I suppose she still does it, but I don’t have to hear it anymore.

Chotii, you and your husband’s family are not the only ones who pronounce the “d” in Wednesday. I amso pronounce the “r” in February.

I don’t care if “highth” is in the dictionary. So is the pronunciation “noo-kyu-ler” They are both still wrong.

There’s a Chevrolet dealer here in town who runs radio commercials in which the *owner of the dealership * pronounces the word “Chiv-o-lay”. I literally scream at the radio every time I hear it.
Luckily for me, I’m a Ford man. (technically, I’m more of a Land Rover / Jaguar / Volvo / Aston Martin man, but they’re all one big happy family now)

Oh, and speaking of Jaguar, “jag-war” is fine for the animal, but I always figured that the car should be pronounced “jag-yoo-ar”. English car, English pronunciation. Bur “jag-wire” is just wrong.

And while I’m on the subject of British pronunciation: The aforementioned “jag-yoo-ar” is fine, as is “la-bor-i-try” for laboraotry (so as to not confuse it with “lav-a-tor-y”, I was once told). I can even stand “lef-ten-ant”, although I can’t for the life of me understand it. But “a-loo-min-i-um” is not only pronounced incorrectly, it also has an extra letter in it.

Although I do have to agree with Eddie Izzard on the word herb: “You say ‘erb’, and we say ‘HERB’, because there’s a f***ng H in it.”

The previous post would have quite a lot fewer misspellings if I could understand the differecnce between the phrases “Preview Post” and “Submit Reply”.

I hear “ambl-ee-ance” a lot instead of “ambulance”.

And people saying “meridian” instead of “median” to describe the concrete island in the middle of the road.

I hate people pronouncing aluminium as aluminum, and I just don’t get why some people pronounce bonnet as hood. :confused:

http://www.webster-dictionary.org/definition/aluminum

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/aluminum

etc.

Seems like aluminum is interchangable with aluminium.

What about people who say “pronounciation” (pronunciation)? Got too many 'o’s there, mate. Also, (not quite a mispronunciation), but: sensual vs sensuous. Oh, how about “astricks”.

My first three cars were MGBs. I pronounce “bonnet” correctly. And I know the hood gets stowed in the boot on sunny days. :smiley:

My boss has a million words she slaughters, but the one that jumps to mind is suh-pose-ah-bly instead of supposedly.

Then there is the ever-popular axe instead of ask, flash or flax instead of flask, and pin when they want a pen.

There is an entire sub-dialect of English among first-language English speakers of Greek, Italian, and Portuguese descent in Montreal that lacks the word “women.” The pronunciation “woman” is used both in the singular and plural.

Don’t ask me.

Asterix (when not referring to a cartoon character). When someone says that, I can’t exscape from their presence fast enough.

Then there’s people that say eksetera when they mean et cetera, and even abbreviate it ect!

Or medium.

Dictionary.com has an interesting note on the pronunciation of nuclear

On the subject of vegan and “veh-jan”, would the latter be pronounced the same way as veggin’ (from vegging) - a word used to describe someone just relaxing and lying about.

And now, let’s get to the word pronunciation. Why the heck do we say it that way when it comes from the word pronounce? (Or is it the other way around, and should I be complaining about how we say pronounce in relation to pronunciation?)

pronunciation = to pronounce

WTH? :rolleyes: Stupid English language…

“We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.” - Booker T. Washington

Anyhoo…

What does a bomb sound like when it goes off in Fells Point?

BEWM.

More from Bawlmer.
Ambyoolance
pixture
chimbly