Joan of Arcadia 11/7, Or This Episode Made Me Cry, Dammit (spoilers inside)

Great show, great episode, and the first time that the police chief subplot really worked for me.

One question…I missed the opening credits. Was the little boy who played the little boy Joan was babysitting David Dorfman, the creepy kid from THE RING? It looked and sounded just like him, but I couldn’t be sure. If lots of RING alumni start showing up, it could get weird. Don’t watch the video, Joan, even if God tell you to.

I can tape over Joan; yes, I can tape Miss Match although I don’t watch it; I will try to confirm that Jake 2.0 has been renewed (hope, hope, hope, hope); I sent a tape two days ago by priority mail with ENT’s “Twilight” on it; did you get that one yet, and did you get the previous one? You can email me.

I kinda liked it when Joan tried to reassure Rocky that God did exist. After all, if you see him all the time, wouldn’t you want to comfort a dying kid like that?

I called the Andy thing right away. When God told her to listen, and that some people needed help but woudn’t ask, I thought – she needs to talk to him and find out why he doesn’t like November. Then he said it again on the bus, but she went over to the crying woman. I really thought the crying woman was going to turn her away – like, Joan was looking too hard to find someone else to help when she needed to be there for the person next to her. I was glad she came around to him at the end.

If he’s so “all about” her (and he obviously is), how long is it going to take to learn that her name is not ‘Jane’?

When you learn that it’s Adam, not Andy, perhaps?

Give the nerdy brother more subplots. And Sidney Portier’s daughter is very easy on the eyes.

I think Jane is a kind of nickname he uses for her. If he called her by her real name, he might have to acknowledge his feelings for her, and that’s a bit too scary for him right now.

I really like Kevin. He was an accomplished athelete, awarded for his physical abilities. He was struck down, stripped of his physical abilities. Things people take for granted. He does not wallow in self pity or grasp false hope like psychics sell. He is working with the here and now going day by day and making the most of what he has. Then he goes home at the end of the day to a home with readily available guns. He’ll check facts again tommorrow and he’ll do it well and one day he’ll do something more even in his wheelchair. He is my hero. The real world is not that pretty.

Yes.

Oops. Looks like Master Dorfman’s IMDB résumé doesn’t yet include his Joan of Arcadia gig.

But trust me. It was him.

I trust you ;).

Here’s a good link to the cast by episode, as well as other JoA info.

Love this show. Although I did think they telegraphed the Adam story a bit much. I picked up on it almost immediatly. I also liked how God offered little comfort at the end. That was an increadibly strong emotional ending. Although I wonder at next weeks previews. It looks like God is going to ask her to do something very iffy, and I wonder how they’ll resolve the anger and hurt she feels towards him this week, with her going onlong with something she really doesn’t agree with next week. I don’t just want them to gloss over that. I’d like to see some sort of reconcilliation, or reasoning for her to keep doing the errands he gives.

Watched it for the first time the weekend. I’ve always been a little soft for weepy TV shows, at least, the well-done ones. And after having kids, sick kids really do me in. I teared up on the sick kid, and the boy’s dead mom. Ugh, I’m such a pushover.

I think it’s rather well done and not all preachy. And a note on trivia: I don’t remember the boy from The Ring, but Joan (Amber Tamblyn) was one of the girls who die in the very beginning of that film.

We first caught an episode of this show several weeks ago by accident and we have been hooked. I really enjoy the real-world look of it. There is nothing really original or wild about what’s going on in these people’s lives, but the characters are so good they feel like real people we should care about.

That and God is so very cool. He’s a smart-ass, he shows up at the most oddball times, and what he says is so cryptic it really makes you think (sorry, but I say “he” for lack of a better pronoun).

Just popping in to say that I love this show, and have been hooked since the first episode I saw (the third one aired, I think). I love the characters, and the balance they find between God’s requests, Joan’s high school angst, the Kevin subplots, and the police stories.

For me, one of the real revelations of this show has been how wonderful Mary Steenburgen is. Prior to Joan, I knew her mainly as Ted Danson’s onetime (current?) paramour, although I expect I’ve seen her in supporting roles in some movies. But on Joan, she’s so real, so beautiful, and so moving. I love her interactions with the parking lot priest, and she and Joe Mantegna are developing some real chemistry.

Unlike a previous poster, I loved the scene in the yard sale episode where he asked her to talk to Joan about being raped in college - his pleading “I need you to do this for me” felt real, and her obvious anguish at revisiting that chapter in her life was deeply moving throughout the episode.

On a lighter note, I have great hopes for more Grace and Luke developments.