Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka is four years OLDER than Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka

This is just one of those “That just seems weird to me” kind of things.

Among my first reactions upon hearing that Johnny Depp was to be Willy Wonka was the thought that he’s too young to play Willy Wonka.

Although I always accepted Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka.

Of course I became familiar with the Gene Wilder Willy Wonka back when I was but a small child. Now he was a grown-up and all grown-up’s were old. So I was fine with that, grew used to that, and have been fine with that ever since.

Now, as I am a grown-up and have revised my evaluation of “old”-ness, I look at Johnny Depp and think he is too young to play Willy Wonka.

And yet . . .

Johnny Depp is 42.

Gene Wilder (as Willy Wonka) was 38.

(actually, at the time of filming the ages were probably JD 41 and GW 37)

So Johnny Depp’s Willy Wonka is four years older than Gene Wilder’s Willy Wonka!!!
That just seems so weird to me.

Now Depp has always been quite youthful looking and is a much more youthful 42 than Wilder was a 38. I’m not saying I can’t understand it . . . just that being presented with the facts- this just seems weird to me. Especially since I remember an young Officer Tom Hanson doing undercover drug busts at the local highschool!
:eek:

Gene Wilder has always looked older than his years, I think. There’s something about the wild flyaway hair that does it.

And Johhny Depp looks perpetually 19.

Sean Connery was 34 when he made Goldfinger. It seems as if it has a lot do with the era. People aren’t only allowed to, but expected to be, youthful now.

And already balding, too.

…and Roger Moore is almost three years older than Connery. Hard to believe when you compare the Connery of “Diamonds Are Forever” to the Moore of “Live and Let Die”.

It seems to me that actors in the 60’s and 70’s always looked older than their years. I attribute it to no-sunscreen sunworshipping and relentless smoking.

Johnny Depp’s a notorious smoker. Maybe the effects are mitigated by all that French food?

I think he’s just one of the freaks that is the exception that proves the rule (whatever that means).

In that cliche’, prove means test. Much like how vehicles and such are tested on proving grounds. So Johnny Depp’s youthful face despite his smoking tests the rule that smoking ages you prematurely, rather than confirms it.

Sorry. Pet peeve, there. Maybe he’s on the botox?

Have you seen this?

. . . or better yet, from the Master himself.

Which is referenced in my link. :slight_smile:

Or in the linked thread, rather.

I just wanted to say that, for the first time EVER in reading anything online, the title of the OP literally made me freeze and stop chewing the pbj crackers I was eating.

I mean… damn, that is weird.

You think that’s wierd? Johnny Depp’s Willy Wonka is two years older than Johnny Depp’s Captain Jack Sparrow. Put that in your pope and smike it.