Joining the Marines?

Okay… and how many are there on the US Marine engine room? Oh, that’s right. There isn’t one. So then how are the Merchant Marines not more similar to the US Navy than the US Marines?
Sure, Merchant Marines are not identical to the Navy. But they are more similar than the US Marines are. There are more similarities than simply “you might spend some time on the water”.

But they both have people who work on the bridge. The Navy and Merchant marines both have people who do jobs that are associated with running ships. They work in the engine room, and take orders from the bridge…
You seem to be making my point rather than countering it.

So you are saying that Marines are not really sailors at all. That’s what I’m hearing. I would agree. So why are you trying to argue with what I am saying??

I am banging my head against a wall here. FoieGrasIsEvil, I asked the OP why he was thinking of joining the US Marines when I’d think the US Navy would be more similar to the job he is doing now. I then proposed that the US Navy would be more similar to the Merchant Marines than his choice of joining the US Marines. I would assume that jobs in the Merchant Marines would be closer to some jobs in the US Navy than any jobs in the Marines.
You disagreed–I think. You seemed to say that they are all equally similar (or disimilar) because they all spend some time on the water. But now you are claiming that US Marines only “act like sailors”. So which is it? Are you saying that the Merchant Marines are equally similar to the US Marines as they are the US Navy?

Can you really not see that one is closer than the other, though?

As an OS or AB he basically does all the shit/newbie work. So, in reality, anything is better.

Everyone’s kness and shins,etc hurt as they were growing. But, if you do mention it, you will have to get yourself cleared by a civillian doctor. At one point they used to do that but as the retention rate increased and bunches of people joined Post-9/11 they stopped. It will be up to you. However, I think if you actaully had a severe knee problem you’d know it and would stay away from anything phsyical/strenous. Being an AB/OS type you are doing that already.

If I were to go into the military knowing what I knew after eight years, it would be not to. If I really wanted too then I would go in as an officer. A much nicer gig with better benefits in the short and long run.

I want to join the marines because in the navy they like to keep you where your at. there isn’t much ranking up right now. Besides I have found being a merchant marines is just WAY to simple and in like I don’t like simple I like working for what I have and feeling like I have actually earned a life.

I would suggest to think of a trade(es) you like and find a similar MOS. Study up as much as as you can for the ASVAB, or related testing, and shop around with the other branches. I’ll second the Coast Guard because they are high speed low drag operators.

Keep in mind the military is down-sizing and lateral moves will be limited in all branches, especially smaller branches like the USMC.

If you were wanting to join the British Marines then the first thing to do would be to get fit:

In fact, if you can’t achieve that without really breaking sweat, you should probably consider a less demanding branch of the armed forces.

I was in the US Navy. What do you mean by keeping you in one place, as in having a home port? The Marines have the same thing. They don’t haut wander around from place to place. After their deployments or any training they return back to the place that they are stationed at.

no rank wise. right now they aren’t promoting people as much