Jury duty - Can you volunteer?

[PERSONALITY 1]I think jury duty pay is taxable, as it is “income” (paltry as it may be).[/PERSONALITY 1]

[PERSONALITY 2]It isn’t taxable, because you are “donating” your time to the People, ergo it’s a “gift.” Gifts of less than $10,000/year per person are not taxed.[/PERSONALITY 2]

If you make jury duty like any other job which people take, it would become so prohibitively expensive that you couldn’t run the court system. You would need a small army of people to process all the W-2s and W-4s and 1099s. And for most of us, jury duty is something we do for about 5 days every 2-3 years.

As for the grand jury, you are asking to join it, you aren’t forced to do it. The government is appealing to your sense of civic duty.

In Indiana, a senior (65 or older,) may volunteer for jury duty. It pretty much means “demand” jury duty. A senior may also opt out, merely by the same previledge of age.

I was picked to be on a Grand Jury in NJ. I forget if it was a state or federal Grand Jury. They tell us about all our responsibilities and I was excited to be part of it. My employer makes up the pay difference between our base pay and what Jury Dudy would pay so I would not lose any money. I was upset when they finaly called my number and I’m Alternate #14. That means 14 people have to be let go off the Grand Jury before I would be on it. I guess that isn’t going to happen so I’m off the hook for that, but I wouldn’t mind being on a Jury after all it’s my civic duty

What happens if you “forget” to go when called?

Here in NYC, a co-worker of mine ignored her summons. 5 months later police came to her job to issue her a supeona.

After a court appearance she was fined.

Jury pay is taxable, except for the milage and other expense re-imbursements. Unless you do as i did, which is turn it over to the Feds, as they gave me a full paycheck.

Well, historically, the Government is always immune from most of its own laws. But, in the case of jusy pay, it is considered a “stipend” or something, and not wages. Anyway, Jusry “per diem” does not come under minimum wages rules, nor are there benefits, per se, altho if you are actually injured on the job you are covered.

And, the bigger the County, the more timeit involves. Santa Clara County, some 3 million, involves maybe 2 days a week.