Just found out Saturday's B&B is alcohol free; what would *you* do?

Either 1 or 2, and in this case 1. They should have that policy in the webpage.

I don’t drink alcohol, but that’s information which people should be told before they book.

You should call back and make sure they don’t have any anti-sex rules either. Or if anything other than 10 toes up, 10 toes down is allowed.

Bring weed instead.

I don’t even think this is a big deal.

Just bring the champagne, and do whatever you want in the privacy of your room. Who cares? What are they going to do? Call the police?

Ehr… I realize Americans use “cider” for “apple juice,” but there’s brands of fermented (i.e. alcoholic) bubbly cider in the market there. I definitely wouldn’t pick one of those for the toast in the room if I was going. I mean, once you decide to play by the rules that have been set, you play by them.

Get absolutely plastered at the restaurant, then stumble back to your room at 3 AM singing Hotel California at the top of your lungs.

“Sparkling cider” in the US refers to a non-alcoholic, carbonated, apple juice base product (there are different flavors) specifically marketed as a non-alcoholic champagne substitute. It comes in a mock champagne bottle and everything. There’s very little chance of confusing it with hard cider products.

This is correct. It would be a small bottle of vanilla vodka (which is what hubby likes to mix with his Diet Coke when he has a drink, if no single-malt Scotch is available), OR a bottle of champagne.

If we decide to keep the reservation, we may very well not take any alcohol at all. The inn-keeper did say that the website was being updated to include this information.

At any rate, neither of us has any intention of getting drunk, as being drunk often precludes other forms of ‘celebrating’ that couples often enjoy on their anniversaries! :wink:

Well…yeah…they could call the police, have them tossed from the room and keep their money.

And you must sing it like this: mumblemumblemumble HOTEL CALIFORNIA

Thanks for the chuckle!:smiley:

Boy howdy, that’s a mighty high horse you’re on – unless you’re a rootin’ tootin’ Vulcan.

Please do not bring alcohol. This is their home. You do not know their reasons for banning alcohol, but please be considerate that they may be very good ones. The website may not yet be up to any recent changes the family may be going through, but it sounds like they are working on updating it.

(I’m guessing not many of you have lived in a house where somebody has a substance abuse problem.)

Sounds like your current plan is a good one!

I’d cancel. There are plenty of b&bs around.

If you have some reason to believe it’s a religious prohibition, I’d respect that.

But honestly? I’d sneak in the alcohol in a soda bottle and giggle over it like a high school kid sneaking a flask into prom.

Bump that !

They are customers, NOT guests. If you dont want your castle defiled, don’t make it a business open to the public.

Next thing you know you got “religious” taxi cab drivers refusing to transport booze or christians or unwed couples or black people or whatever.

Unless they literally started this policy the day before and havent updated the website, screw their feelings and principles.

Not to say sneaking booze in might not possibly cause real problems for the OP, but again bump the proprietors feelings.

I don’t understand why you even told them, to be honest. I’d never even think of telling them.

I’d go with “sneak it in and drink it quietly” but most people seem to be leaning the other way. Strange to me.

I’d bring the booze in anyway. But then I can be contrarian.

If, as the OP says, it might be difficult to find an alternative booking because it being peak season, I would enlist the B&B owner’s assistance. She should know the other places in the area and their policies, and as it’s her failure to post her policies that’s caused this snafu (if it had said “no alcohol permitted” on the web site, you presumably would have booked somewhere else), I say you should ask her to find you comparable lodgings where you can enjoy your champagne. If she can do so, problem solved. If she can’t or won’t, then you have to make the decision to cancel or not. You shouldn’t have to scramble around looking for a different place. It’s the same situation as if she’d overbooked – give her the opportunity to fix it.

I’d cancel and politely let the innkeeper know that while they have a right to whatever policies they want, as a customer I have a right to know those policies before committing to a reservation.