Just how much perfume should one woman wear?

I like perfume, but a lot of ladies go overboard, pouring a whole bottle of K-Mart perfume on themselves. This is detracting. I think two squirts of perfume is a good rule for men and women. A light smell of perfume at three to four feet away is fine and I find it pleasant (giving to the fact that the perfume in question has a pleasing smell). More is better in some cases like deodorent, but not in the case of perfume.

Two wrongs do not make a right…but three lefts do.

I think people who wear too much perfume are completely oblivious to how much it bothers other folks. We have a coworker who used to douse herself so thoroughly, I once was once able to smell her while she was across the street from me. Yet she actually complained about someone else wearing too much, and was shocked when a friend of ours gentley clued her in about her own perfume abuse.

I’m just amazed she can smell anything through that noxious cloud.

Gamera is really neat, he is full of turtle meat, we’ve been eating Gam-er-aaaa…

Personally, I don’t wear a lot of perfume – I’m a nurse and it isn’t allowed where I work (too many respiratory patients). When I do wear it, it’s usually a light fragrance like vanilla or citrus, and I just spritz a little on my clothes. And I still haven’t figured out a really good way to hint that someone is wearing too much perfume; mostly I just cough and sneeze a lot and hope they get the hint.

“There are more things you don’t know than there are things that I do know. I despair of the imbalance.” – Dr. Morgenes, The Dragonbone Chair

I hate to be a part of the perfume police, but I can’t stand it when I can smell perfume, even if it is subtle. I suffer from really bad allergies, and perfume makes me sneeze, my eyes water, and gives me a bad headache. I think anytime a person lays on the scent, they should think about people like me. It really sucks to sneeze, tear-up and suffer from a headache because people want to smell “nice” or “sexy”.

Dizzy

Animals are crapping in our houses! What, did we lose a war?

My wife has a severe allergy to most perfumes. If a heavy sprayer sits next to her in the movie theatre, we either have to move (or leave the movie entirely), or it means a trip to the ER when her lungs shrink like raisins.

MODERATION, PEOPLE! The life you save could be your own, after I get back from the hospital and kick the living shit out of you.

Thank you for your attention.

Movie Geek Central – Reviews, news, analysis, and more! http://moviegeek.homestead.com

Try swimming in a pool containing over-scented [EPITHETS DELETED]. Not only do you smell it, you taste the damn stuff, and it gets in your eyes.

Dee da dee da dee dee do do / Dee ba ditty doh / Deedle dooby doo ba dee um bee ooby / Be doodle oodle doodle dee doh http://members.xoom.com/labradorian/

Nobody’e mentioned the elevator trap. Sometimes when I’m on an elevator, 3 or 4 people, yuppie types mostly (men and women), will get on. The smell makes me punch the button for the next floor in a near panic.
Nowadays I tell them about it. I think it’s rude to overpower others with scent.
My favorite scent? Ivory soap, on a woman fresh out of the shower. :slight_smile:
Peace,
mangeorge

Teach your kids to bungee jump.
One them might have to cross a bridge someday.

Dizzy, I can sympathize with you. I’m exactly the same way. My head has a tendency to stuff up, though, so I can’t breathe (mini-rant: why do department stores at the mall put the perfume counter by the entrance to the mall itself?).

Anyway, I tend to be pretty direct when someone is wearing too much perfume/cologne. I haven’t yet grabbed someone by the neck and given them a swirlie in the nearest bathroom, but. . .
– Sylence

I don’t have an evil side. Just a really, really apathetic one.

I usually use one spritz onto my wrist, then I rub my wrists together and over my neck. I always wear Tommy Girl. It usually fades away quickly. One time I used two spritzes and I reeked the whole night. It was horrible.

When I’m at work and someone reeks of perfume I have no problem telling them to their faces that they smell like they bathed in their perfume or cologne.

How much perfume/cologne is too much?

Simple. If my contact lenses itch, it’s too much. If my contact lenses itch when the person is across the room, it’s way too much.

Rigardu, kaj vi ekvidos.

I once asked a girl in highschool about her perfume usage (or rather someone passed my comment on to her, which is also the day I learned the evils of gossiping) anyway she rather tersely informed me that it was so that she didn’t have to shower after volleybally practice. (?wtf?) “so you would rather spend loads of money on perfume so you can bathe in it in the morning??” I didn’t say that, but I should have. Nasty bitch that she was.

[on topic hijack]
ladies, I have read numerous times that it corrupts and alters a scent to rub it between two wrists. (Don’t ask me, I don’t know the chemistry of the stuff!) Anyway, I just thought I would let you know that.
[/on topic hijack]

Me? I just put one squirt in my hair. It fades slightly faster, but my hair still smells like it later.

Rather, I was in the position of a spore which, having finally accepted its destiny as a fungus, still wonders if it might produce penicillin.
–Ayi Kwei Armah