Just how strong is Titanium?

Obviously an overzealous, ignorant copy writer or a fantastic imagination working overtime.

I would love to, but I have to get ahold of a digital camera first. Mine broke travelling home from D.C. a few days ago. :frowning: I’d be happy to send you some images when I can shoot them, would you be so kind as to email me an address to use to send them to? You don’t list one here on SDMB.

I understand, not promising- just interested. :slight_smile:

Cartooniverse

It’s just una_persson@hotmail.com I only stopped listing it here to see if it was related to a spam increase.

Given that the ad goes on to boast “magnetic head for nail holding power”, I’d say the tool is an out-and-out fraud.

Titanium is nonmagnetic. Putting a magnetic iron face on a titanium head would ruin its single best quality: impact durability and hardness.

I don’t think any factory capable of working titanium would be foolish enough to manufacture a hammer with a solid titanium head and a wooden handle. There better handle materials to take advantage of any property of a titanium head. Wood would be almost the worst. If nothing else, the titanium would transfer sharper shocks to the woo, loosening it quickly, and wood is hardly the most durable handle for a corrosion resistant head.

At best, it’s a light iron head hammer with a titanium face. More likely it is a Titanium™ brand or model. Note that they never actually say it’s made of titanium, and we know the claim of having the driving power of a 14 oz hammer (in this form factor) is bull.

I shouls add that an iron hammer head with that apparent size and shape might reach 14 oz -maybe- assuming a standard handle, and comparing it with a common 16oz iron claw hammer. It’s basically a 16oz (or less) hammer minus part of the curved claw.

A titanium Head would not even come close to 14oz (It’d be ca. 8oz, based on the relative density of Fe and Ti. )

IIRC the titanium for the SR-71s came from the USSR - Lockheed had to set up fake intermediate companies so the russkies wouldn’t realise their plan was to send it back to them a little faster and higher.

The driving power of a hammer is due to the kinetic energy imparted to the head by the swing of the arm and hammer handle. It is also directly proportional to the WEIGHT of the head, all other things being equal.

It is IMPOSSIBLE for a 14 oz. head to have the driving power of a 24 oz. hammer!

It is a fundamental matter of physical mechanics!
Obviously the copywriter was ignorant but had never had any practical experience with hammers.

Titanium is not a precious metal right? Not in the Silver, Gold or Platinum class. I love Gold and Platinum together.

It seems like the people that advertise Titanium try to make it look like a step up from Platinum.

Anyone notice this?

Well, what’s the point of that? Seems to me a wedding band should be a heavy, heavy burden to remind you of your commitment and obligations with every labored swing of your swollen, aching wrist.

Oh, and ;).

The driving power of a hammer is due to the kinetic energy imparted to the head by the swing of the arm and hammer handle. It is also directly proportional to the WEIGHT of the head, all other things being equal.

It is IMPOSSIBLE for a 14 oz. head to have the driving power of a 24 oz. hammer!

It is a fundamental matter of physical mechanics!
Obviously the copywriter was ignorant but had never had any practical experience with hammers.

What about the so-called Deadfall hammers, which have lead shot weight within the head? As you swing, you are swinging the hammer and weight contained within. As it strikes, you have the added force of the lead shot moving in against the surface from within the hammer head.

Does that figure in an increase in driving force any?

Last year I got a catalog that had that item and got a wild hair that I just had to have one. For about $30 plus shipping, in my case.

My wife thought I was crazy, but I have to say, it’s even better than I imagined. Actually, much of the initial appeal was the thought of owning this great big hunk of exotic metal, but it turns out to be very nice to use as well. It helped immensely this summer while digging out some holes through very rocky soil. Plenty strong and pleasantly light to work with all day.

And, while Dread Crowbar Corrosion has not been that much of a problem in our fairly dry climate, I like the idea that I wouldn’t have to worry about it getting wet and rusting…

Lead filled (dead-fall) hammers transfer the kinetic energy into the driving force instead ow wasting some in hammer bounce or rebound.

Given the same kinetic energy there is more put into the job of driving the nail by not losing any in rebound or bounce.

Try one, you’ll like it!. :slight_smile: