Kayaks -- info please!

I’ve read that Eskimos* didn’t actually do Eskimo rolls, that they would bail out and climb back in instead.

Has anybody else read this?
*I know, not the right term for the people, but it’s what the roll is called.

But you’re talking about really high-performance boats, here. A sit-on-top that is that narrow will be really tippy for a beginner. By the time a paddler is at the levels you’re talking about, they won’t be handicapped by the narrowness and/or higher seat, as they will know how to control the boat with their hips. The OP is looking for advice on beginner-to-intermediate level boats. But this being the Dope and all, I guess I should have included a disclaimer. :stuck_out_tongue:

Archergal: I’ve also heard that about Eskimos, but I don’t know if that’s true. But it brings up another big argument about recreational kayaks–you can’t roll them. And you can’t roll most sit-on-tops either. (disclaimer–theoretically, you are able to roll some sit-on-tops if they have good leg straps, but as a practical matter, it’s damn near impossible.) You don’t need to know how to roll to paddle, of course, but it would be good to have a boat that you can roll, because you’ll probably want to learn eventally.

I’ll nether confirm nor deny that fact ;). I myself paddle mostly flatwater, in the various rivers and lakes and in Barengat Bay. I own nothing more then a meager rec-boat, but a nice benefit of working at one of the countries largest kayak stores is I can take boats out pretty much whenever. I normally take out the Perception Shadow 17. A lot of us at work have recently started to try out surf kayaking, which from my understanding can be very similar to white water. We take out various specialty boats for this though, all of these are of the sit-on variety.

Ever go out to Sandy Hook to surf? We haven’t been in a couple of years, but we used to go all the time. (after 5 pm, of course!) We only have one sit-on-top (Prijon Twister), so we usually use our regular whitewater boats. If you flip, and can’t roll, it’s no biggie, because you will soon be washed into the beach, where you can just use your hands to push yourself back upright.

Hey, we’ve never taken the Aire Force down there…that would be the bomb!

I suppose ocean surfing is similar in some ways to whitewater…oh, I’m just trying to be nice. I mean, the skills you pick up in ocean surfing might help you on the river, but I can’t really see any other similarities. Other than the fact that the water isn’t flat. Maybe the fact that you’re playing more than trying to get from point A to point B? But then again, plenty of whitewater boaters don’t play a lot…I’d be interested to hear where folks find the similarities.

Are you interested in trying whitewater?

Anyway, I’m dying to paddle the Mullica and/or Batsto. I’ve been out of my hardboat for a couple years due to a pelvic injury, but maybe the Aire would work…

From paddlewise:

Most touring sea kayaks are similar in shape to Greenland kayaks.

Here are the names of various rolls spoken by Maligiaq Padilla, a young Greenlander who visited North America a couple of years ago to help spread knowledge of Greenland sea kayaking:
http://www.qajaqusa.org/QK/rolls/rolls_phonetic.html

Thanks for the clarification, Muffin!

Around here (Cape Ann/Plum Island area), we’ve got a bunch of tidal rivers feeding into Plum Island Sound. You get some sincere currents and standing waves. The Sound varies from mill pond smoothness to what seems like Class II+ whitewater depending on the state of the tide and wind. I’ve found that quite a bit of what I learned whitewater canoeing carries over. So it may just depend on where you are.

Some of my impressions may also be due to my being a relatively new kayaker who is still fairly wimpy about the big waves (and all the waves look big when you’re sitting pretty much at the waterline).

Some videos of different types of rolls, including a straightjacket roll, performed in a Greenald kayak: http://www.whitemountainweb.com/kayakerperry/videoRolls.html

Wow, very cool links, Muffin..

I got to try just a couple of kayaks while I was at the coast. I rented an Ocean Kayak Frenzy for playing in the waves. It was fun, for that. But now I know I don’t want one of those for my “only” boat.

On the guided trip we took, I paddled a Current Designs Whistler. It’s a 14.5 ft long kayak, 25" wide. It was comfortable and easy to paddle. We paddled out with the wind in our faces, and back with the wind at our backs. I don’t know how it would feel if we’d had to paddle across the wind, though. Much more challenging, I think.

That’s where I bought my kayak (Bel Haven)! The rivers are VERY calm, but the scenery is pretty and the one river is actually copper-colored due to the iron and tanin from the cedar trees (or so I was told) - very cool!

Seems like we have a number of Joisey kayakers, albeit of various sorts/types/levels. Perhaps we should have a Doper kayak get-together?
Any takers?