Keep your fingers crossed for Abby Sunderland (16 y.o. lost on round-the-world sail attempt)

Heck, her brother already did the same voyage at a younger age. It’s the family business; it’s not like they haven’t gone through this before.

On the contrary, small ships in pirate playing grounds are very vulnerable. They are relatively easy pickings and worse than all it is easier and more convenient to kill the crew. Last year a couple of pirate wannabes boarded a yacht off the Andaman Sea coast of Thailand and killed one of the two people on board.

How does one determine the cost? The SARS guys are getting paid no matter what, although I presume they get some kind of danger pay. Perhaps your craft and tools depreciate. Fuel is probably a big cost.

You might want to tell that to the Chandlers. They’re being held for ransom. They’re not the only passengers from a small sailing yacht to be kidnapped by pirates recently, though my impression is that they’ve been held for an exceptionally long time.

A big part of my concern is that teenagers really aren’t the best decision makers, especially when it comes to evaluating risk. Here’s a recent scientific study expanding on the already well known issue.

So, she may be extremely qualified at the mechanics of sailing. Great. BUT - when it comes to sailing around the world, what may end up saving your life is someone who is also very good at making decisions. I just have trouble believing that any 16 year old, regardless of experience, is equiped to make the optimum risk-reward decisions when necessary.

I stand corrected.

No, as in my earlier mistake, he briefly held the record at the age of 17 (almost 18) and she was aiming to beat him by doing it at 16. He did it earlier as in “last year”, not earlier as in age.

Your point still stands though, the family has successfully been through all of this before, and it sounds like she was taking care of her own mini-disaster and had the maturity to know when the situation was getting beyond her capabilities. She tripped her beacons while things were still somewhat under control rather than wait until things were really desperate.

My mistake too, I wasn’t just relying on your post but on my own mistaken memories.

She sounds like a very capable sailor. And, in general, I have no problem with her attempting this trip. But I think care should be taken to compensate S&R efforts that are triggered as a result.

I am certainly glad she’s alive and about to be safe. I started out to ask what a solo circumnavigation would cost, then through a google search found an article that suggested about $350k. This was an ESPN article from before Abby started her trip in which her dad mentioned seeking sponsorship.

That answered my “how does this family afford these trips?” question, but openend a new set of questions. Is the risk that something could go terribly, terribly wrong worth the payoff for a sponsoring company if the trip goes well? I guess I’m just risk averse, but the potential damage to a brand seems too great to me.

In this specific case a Qantas Airbus A330 was chartered to go looking for her, that would have been a direct cost to the government. Other than that, you’re probably right, a lot of the “cost” is money that is getting spent anyway.

Edit: Both AMSA and Coastwatch have their own aircraft with search radar that are more capable than an A330 at finding a yacht at sea, but they don’t have the range to attempt this kind of rescue, she was a long long way from land.

From an ABC story:

Will the fishing boat take her yacht in tow, or abandon it lest it interfere with their work? Would your basic fishing boat be large enough to take it aboard?

I wonder if Abby and her brother will someday form a team in America’s Cup?

I remember the glory days when Ted Turner raced and won.

It would probably have neither the ability to hoist it on board, nor space for it.

That boat has to be worth a pretty penny. If she abandons it under these conditions, is it up for grabs?

This is usually covered by laws pertaining to salvage. Someone who retrieves an abandoned vessel doesn’t automatically own it, but is typically entitled to some meaningful percentage of its value.

As soon as one person does it, you’ll have an answer.

As yet, there is no intersection between the summits-and-poles list and the round-the-world-alone list.

The hiking and mountaineering parts go together, but sailing an oceangoing vessel by yourself is a whole different skill set. If one person ever does both by the definitions of these lists, they will probably have to be a sailing person who then hires climbing people to get them to the summits.

Really, if we’re going to talk about summiting as a comparable challenge to circumnavigation, we should be talking only about solo efforts in all cases.

In the ozzie news this morning:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/australian-news/7387214/australia-to-foot-bill-for-teen-sailors-rescue/

Yes. Piracy of even small vessels is a real problem over here. They used to victimize even the Vietnamese boat people way back when, taking what little possessions they had if any, then just killing them.

And a nubile 16-year-old would make a great prize to be passed around camp at night.

I heard on the news tonight that they would scuttle the boat if they had to abandon it. It would be a danger to shipping if left floating.

That was my thought.