Kevin McCarthy: "Putin pays Trump"

I think it was probably a joke, in the sense that he has no actual knowledge of it, but it does show that the GOP think Trump is weirdly, irrationally pro-Putin and that his behavior is unsettling. That same “joke” wouldn’t have been funny about Ted Cruz, to pick a random candidate, because there’s no connection.

Yes, something like this. “These guys have such a hard-on for Russia, I sweartaGod, Putin must be payin’ 'em!” type of wisecrack. Not meant sincerely, but in the sense that the guys are such Putin suck-ups. Does that speak any better about Trump? Not necessiarly, and it does show that they perhaps had some concern over his apparent fondness for Russia, but it also does not mean it was a literal, serious allegation that McCarthy really thought Trump was in Putin’s pocket.

And damn y’all for putting me in a position to defend these guys. I just sincerely don’t think this was meant with any seriousness. There’s plenty other news to choose from that holds up better.

It may have been meant as a joke. Sometimes the joke turns out to be reality though.

Maybe they were saying Trump is the joke and Ryan said, “Well, we better keep THAT a secret!” Like they could.

I don’t think we are really defending them: it’s a damning joke because it shows they do have real concerns and are downplaying them for the sake of party.

In a way, I can sympathize. I had a hilarious bit about terrorists taking down the World Trade Center that completely lost its luster on 9/11.

You are not alone. Joking is often a defense mechanism, we see the problem, we know we can’t do anything about, so we cope with humor. But in this case those guys could have done something about it.

The McCarthy line didn’t much bother me. What bothers me is Ryan telling everyone, “I know we’re joking, but you can’t possibly express these concerns in public, because if you let the nation know you have concerns about its security, that jeopardizes the party’s chance of winning the election.” It’s one of the clearest examples I’ve ever seen of putting party before country.

Joke or not, it has truth value. I find it curious that this was said almost a year ago, too. Seems a a bit prescient.

In June 2016, how many people associated Trump as being super cozy with Russia? Maybe I need to search the board to see what we were talking about last year.

I wish we had the feature to search the board to see what we are talking about NEXT year.

In politics, that is how jokes work.

IMO Ryan was probably just playing along with the joke. But to the extent that you think he was serious about that, then he was most likely nervous that if the joke got out that it would be taken seriously, exactly as is happening now …

That’s certainly one interpretation of what was said, yes.

I believe McCarthy. This is the guy who warned us about The Bodysnatchers.

This article has soured me a bit on the Washington Post. It’s plainly obvious to me that this was a joke. When the transcript has [laughter] four times in two sentences then it should be readily apparent to everyone that the statements are in jest.

There’s no way a responsible paper should quote a joke someone made in a headline and try to pass it off as though it were a serious statement.

Playing “gotcha” with the denials is equally ridiculous.

So what is the jokes premise? Why?

I just think people are voting now with their clicks that they want to see every bit of this issue come out and explored until there is nothing left to see. Jokes don’t come out of a vacuum.

It is plainly obvious to everyone that it was a joke and everyone includes the Washington Post. There is literally no one making the argument that this was a serious statement. Trying to shift the discussion to whether or not this was a joke is, at best, completely missing the point.

Why is the idea of Putin paying Trump funny to these Republican congressmen? That’s the question you should be asking yourself.

Was this a joke? Is not an important question. The answer is yes and everybody knows that.

I looked at my FB timeline and my first Trump/Russia post was late July, and as I threw everything at the son of a bitch, it likely wasn’t in the air in June.

This resonates with me as well. Sure it was a joke. But it did not come from a vacuum. They KNEW there was Russia connections with Trump. That’s the genesis of the joke.

And they also KNEW that this was not a good thing, and should be kept under wraps. For the good of “the family”. Screw the country, who cares - the important thing is to protect the party.

People make jokes about serious things all the time. That’s the whole point of jokes.

This is fairly typical. The idea that Trump-Russia is some sort of uniquely serious issue that it’s off-limits to humor has no rational basis that I can see.

What happened to McCarthy is what happens to a lot of people. You make a joke at one time and in one setting, and then it gets broadcast at a different time when the mood has changed, and to a different audience, and it can come off very different. Especially when part of that later audience is actively looking for ways to make you into some sort of evil and sinister guy, which only magnifies it.