Khadaji’s Whatcha Reading Thread - February 2023 edition

Oh, you could say that about any of her stuff! :slight_smile:
My library doesn’t have Swordheart in a dead-tree version. Maybe I’ll ask them to get it for me.

RIGHT??!! One of the reasons I love her, even her horror is funny.
How sad, you should ask, it’s quite good and it’s set in the same Universe as the Clocktaur books.

Finished Africa Is Not a Country: Notes on a Bright Continent, by Dipo Faloyin, which was outstanding, alternately heartbreaking and hilarious. Strongly recommended.

Now I’m reading a play, “The Seven Against Thebes” by Aeschylus.

Continuing on my arctic exploration kick, just started Frozen in Time: The Fate of the Franklin Expedition by Beattie & Geiger.

Also starting Dylan’s new book, The Philosophy of Modern Song. Know most of the songs, but there are some I’ll need to listen to and get a better understanding of.

I got an unsolicited copy of “The Great Controversy” in the mail yesterday. Is there a “watcha not going to read” thread?

Finished Harold Lamb’s Genghis Khan. Good book.

Now I’m on to George R. R. Martin’s Fire and Blood, which my daughter got me for Christmas. The cover proudly proclaims it "The Inspiration for the HBO original series House of the Dragon. It’s almost 800 pages, and, from what I’ve read so far, bears about the same relationship to Martin’s “Song of Fire and Ice” that Tolkein’s Silmarillion does to “The Lord of the Rings” – it’s a sort of prequel that gives a very detailed background to the longer, multi-volumed work but doesn’t tell it in the same way, as a narrative with compelling characters and dialogue. It seems more like a history. I’m impressed that Martin could make up such a detailed history (as I was impressed with the huge se of appendices to A Song of Fire and Ice and to The Lord of the Rings), but I’m not sure it will keep my interest for 800 pages. I’ve read The Silmarillion twice, but not with the interest and addiction that made me read Lord of the Rings so many times I’ve lost count (but it’s in the dozens). I’ll let you know if it makes me fall asleep and move on to something else.

At night, I’m still reading The Annotated American Gods, which is NOT making me fall asleep.

On audio, I finished Preston and Childs’ Two Graves and have moved on to an earlier book, Cemetery Dance. P&C have a bad habit of opening several of their books with the abrupt and unexpected death of someone you thought was an inviolable main character. They’ve done it at least three times that I can think of. Their Agent Pendergast Books are the “Game of Thrones” of out-there thrillers. Pendergast himself is so unbelievably talented and smarmy that I want to punch him in the face, but I take solace in that Rene Auberjonois’ readings make the character sound more like “Cool Ghoul” Horror host Zacherley than like the culture Southern gentleman he’s supposed to be.

We get hand written (cursive) letters from people in the local jehova witness church. I actually read them, in a point-and-laugh sort of way.

Finished “The Seven Against Thebes” by Aeschylus, which was excellent. Reminded me of my days in high school English discussing “Oedipus the King” and “Antigone”. I was somewhat surprised to discover that Aeschylus’ play included part of the plot of “Antigone”. I had thought it ended before that. I do wish, though, that this edition had named the translator. (This version was published in 2000.)

Now I’m reading Fluke: The Math & Myth of Coincidence, by Joseph Mazur.

Was just re-reading James Altucher’s piece about New York’s plight as a city in the aftermath of the Covid-19 pandemic. He’d argued that the lockdown had stripped its inhabitants of the notion that the city needed so many people to be what it is; that remote work and the infra that made remote work possible would lead to a less densely populated city, affecting livelihoods while doing so. To a certain extent, he was right, but NYC is certainly not dead (as he claimed it was, or would be). Evaluating this in the context of claims that around 90 percent of America is soon going to be living in cities or urban spaces, we have to wonder if the urban is becoming humanity’s “fundamental niche.” To do that of course one needs to look at what’s happening to urban spaces globally, but a very interesting question to consider nonetheless.

We get those in Spanish here! I’m not sure who decided that was a good fit for us (more likely, they’re just sent out randomly), but it’s very good reading practice for me. The JWs here are slowly beginning to go door to door again, after going no-contact during the height of the pandemic, and I greatly prefer the letters.

I’m re-reading Ali Smith’s “Autumn,” which my Kindle helpfully told me I’d already read after I checked it out from the library yesterday. My library is switching from Overdrive to Libby, and the “read” tags didn’t migrate over, so I keep finding myself getting books I’ve already read, but I didn’t remember the beginning of this one very well. I really like her writing, though, and even though it became familiar as I went on, I’m enjoying it all over again.

Well, having so enjoyed John Green’s Looking for Alaska, I am now crying my way through The Fault in Our Stars. I’ll have to read a murder mystery next to lighten my mood.

Finished Fluke: The Math & Myth of Coincidence, by Joseph Mazur, which was okay.

Now I’m reading Gingerbread by Helen Oyeyemi.

Finished Digging for Richard III by Mike Pitts. Overall a well written book, definitely aimed to a lay audience. I, personally, would have like more time spent on the post uncovering science, but his explanations did cover all the bases.

I started Stiletto by Daniel O’Malley on Friday while waiting at the After Hours clinic on Friday. This is my second time reading it, but since it takes O’Malley ages to write each book, I forget most of the previous books while I wait for the new ones.

(I was at the clinic due to a really SORE knee. Doc said I’d strained the soft tissue and I’m guessing it was a slip on the ice a few days prior. 10 year ago, it wouldn’t have bothered me as much. Aging sucks…)

Finished the Power (it was okay; it did not stick the landing). I read a lot RPG books for fun and was recently reading the 5E Source book on Eberron. I remember that setting from back in the day. It was the product of a contest to create a fan made campaign setting around 25 years ago (I even submitted something myself) but at the time what I had seen didn’t interest me much but now years later I really liked it so I got a trilogy of books written by the creator of the setting set in Eberron. About halfway through the first one and like it quite a bit. It’s set in Sharn which is basically the New York of the plane. A giant city made of huge towers. It like if someone plopped a little chunk of Coruscant into a fantasy setting (or a piece of Ravnica for people familiar with MTG). It’s an interesting setting and adventure. Don’t remember the title but the author is Keith Baker.

Finished Gingerbread by Helen Oyeyemi, which was excellent. Very original fantasy/magical realism, strongly recommended.

Now I’m reading Introducing Elsa Maxwell: How an Irrepressible Nobody Conquered High Society, Hollywood, the Press, and the World, by Sam Staggs.

You may like this documentary, which includes, in the funeral service, a reading from the current Duke of Gloucester: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSwWgbPObB0

Finished reading Cultural Practices of the Heartland by Andy Crawford. Very fun read. If you know, you know.

We are in St Martin, so I began rereading Elmore Leonard’s Rum Punch, (the novel Tarintino base Jackie Brown on). I first read it my first time on the island and I reread it each time I’m here. This is my 16th (?!) time. I love the story, and it is a perfect beach read.

OO! thanks! I’ll look into it.

Glad you finally got to enjoy it! If you like Durrell’s descriptive (sometimes veering into florid) prose style, you might try his My Family and Other Animals, a non-fiction account of a childhood summer in Corfu. It’s not laugh out loud funny like The Picnic (well, in my view - YMMV) but has its moments. Has anyone read any of his brother Lawrence Durrell’s novels? I never have but keep meaning to. I understand they are (unsurprisingly) very different - more ‘literary’.

As for me, by the time I’ve caught up on the various periodicals I receive I sadly have little time to read books, but I recently read the memoirs of a family friend (which was actually very entertaining, he is quite the raconteur and has had many amusing experiences), and a small collection of Roald Dahl short stories called Switch Bitch, which I can heartily recommend.