Khadaji’s Whatcha Reading Thread - July 2020 edition

Finished Man Plus , by Frederik Pohl. Meh.

Now I’m reading On The Wealth of Nations by P.J. O’Rourke, a commentary on Adam Smith’s work.

I was going to say the exact same thing as Elendil’s Heir.

Sounds like I made the right decision! I don’t think a baseball reference could have helped much. :slight_smile:

This morning I read Prosper’s Demon, a very short novella about a man who casts out demons. It was an enjoyable and well-written read, but will no doubt be soon forgotten. I wouldn’t have minded reading a book-length tale about the character.

DB, I really liked this novel, about a rebellion in Hell led by a demon who wants to get back in God’s good graces and return to Heaven: https://www.amazon.com/Gods-Demon-Wayne-Barlowe/dp/0765309858/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1596031731&sr=1-4

Thanks, I’ll check it out!

Bedside book: Women of Valor: The Rochambelles on the WWII Front, non-fiction by Ellen Hampton. An all-female group of ambulance drivers serving with the French 2nd Armoured Division in North Africa and Europe. They were right up where the action was – one was killed; one disappeared, fate unknown; and several were wounded. One woman was shot at (the bullet bounced off her helmet), captured by the Germans, released, and hit in the neck by shrapnel (friendly fire) – all on the same day! After the war ended, several of the women trained as paratroopers and then followed the 2nd Armoured to Indochina.

Car book: The Last Wish, fantasy by Andrzej Sapkowski. The first in the Witcher series.

Finished Twenty Thousand Leagues Remembered , a collection of short stories celebrating the 150th anniversary of the publication of Jules Verne’s 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. One of the entries was mine (“The Game of Hare and Hounds”), and I was curious to see what others had come up with.

Not sure what to read next. I’ve got Leigh Perry’s The Skeleton Makes a Friend, the latest in her “Skeleton” mystery stories. I’m also re-reading a lot of H. P. Lovecraft, and might re-read “The Call of Cthulhu”.

Starting today on The Postmortal by Drew Magary, a sci-fi novel about a society which finds the cure for aging.

Buying Time by Joe Haldeman is an interesting take on that theme, DB, set in a near-future crime-ridden, dystopic America, although I have to warn you the ending is disappointing.

I finally finished The Boy from the Woods by Harlan Coben. This was the first book I’ve read by this best-selling author, and, quite frankly, I was not overly impressed. Perhaps this was not Coben’s best effort. In that case, are there any Coben fans than could recommend another book of his that I should read?

I’m now reading Camino Winds by John Grisham.

New thread will go up tomorrow. I had a headache today and forgot.

Home is the only Harlan Coben novel that I’ve read, and I enjoyed it.

Finished On The Wealth of Nations by P.J. O’Rourke, a commentary on Adam Smith’s work, which I found moderately interesting and entertaining.

Now I’m reading Feathers, by Jacqueline Woodson. My copy is from the library, and it turned out to be autographed.

August Thread: I can’t think of anything witty to say…