Khadaji’s Whatcha Reading Thread - June 2021 edition

Finished The Sentry, LA noir by Robert Crais. Joe Pike stumbles upon a couple of gangbangers shaking down the proprietor of a small sandwich shop and saves the day. But the proprietor and his niece seem curiously resentful. Pike and his partner Elvis Cole soon learn they are not at all what they seem to be. Another great entry in the Elvis Cole-Joe Pike series.

Have started The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, by Laurence Sterne.

Just finished “Run” by Blake Crouch. Good, but gruesome world-gone-mad thriller, with an interesting ending.

Currently reading “A Door Into Time” by Shawn Inmon. Turned out to be much more interesting than I thought. It’s a alternate-universe and/or alternate-timeline type of fiction. Usually when the first few words of the summary contain the words “special forces” it’s not gonna be great. But this one has less testosterone than I expected and is really good.

I love the Joe Pike stories. I claim that when Jack Reacher needs an exciting book, he probably reads one about Joe Pike.

I’ll add it to my TBR list, thanks!

Finished The Peterkin Papers , by Lucretia P. Hale, which was okay.

Now I’m reading Singular Sensation: The Triumph of Broadway, by Michael Riedel.

OK, I just started The Monkey’s Raincoat by Robert Crais.

I just ordered me a copy this morning… we must be on the same wavelength.

Finished:

This Little Measure by Sara Woods. It suffered a bit from pacing issues but the twist at the end was well executed.

Death of the Pirate King by Josh Lanyon. Well. That took me by surprise and so good to see character development for Jake. I pretty much knew who the killer was, I just didn’t have the why.

Enthralled by A H Lee. The second sequel/side story to her Knight and Necromancer story. Nice little claustrophic suspense story in a tower during a snowstorm.

Currently Reading:

All Shall Be Well by Deborah Crombie. It’s the 2nd Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James book, fairly light weight, she has an easy voice that makes the pages fly by.

Geek Tattoo by R. Cayden. Romance, tattoos and fake relationships…

Nearly finished with Spooky Business by S E Harmon on audiobook, just haven’t had many long drives lately.

Just finished a book called The Invitation by Rachel Abbott

It’s a murder mystery based on the premise of an heir to a fortune inviting a small group of old school friends to his wedding in an isolated estate near the sea in coastal Britain. I love mysteries about a group of people whether they are known to each other or complete strangers being isolated in a remote location. It’s very claustrophobic and hard to predict because more often than not there is no outside help coming and that means the characters have to figure out the truth of while also constantly being on guard not knowing what the end game is and who among them could be a psychopath.

In this particular book there is police involvement but it simmers in the background for reasons for which I will not spoil.

I have been on a Comic Adaptions of Sci Fi Novel kick lately. I finished Dune which was an adaptation of the first third of the original Dune novel. Now I am reading an adaptation of Parable of the Sower. I actually have the novel of this as well but hadn’t read it. Enjoying the adaptation. It’s a very interesting art style.

Just finished: 1637: The Polish Maelstrom, by Eric Flint
Now reading: 1637: The Volga Rules, by Eric Flint, Gorg Huff, and Paula Goodlett
Up next: Up-Time Pride and Down-Time Prejudice, by Mark H Huston

I started 1636: The Chronicles of Dr Gribbleflotz (Kerryn Offord and Rick Boatwright) twice, but couldn’t get interested in either the main character or his adventures, so I gave up on it. Maybe later…

Over the weekend I read Remedy, by Eireann Corrigan. It’s a YA novel about Munchausen’s Syndrome by proxy, and entirely predictable, but I was interested in seeing it spool out anyway. I would be willing to read more by this author.

Started this morning on Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. I had enjoyed The Martian, but it’s been a while and I was a little intimidated by the serious look and size of this book, but it’s very accessible. Already got a laugh out of me too.

I’m about a fifth of the way through, and it’s better. The litany of Stalin’s crimes is appalling, and his defense by Soviet conservatives - even decades later! - is sickening. I’m coming to have a new appreciation for Gorbachev, given the difficulty of his reform efforts and the political risks he ran.

Joyland by Stephen King

I had high hopes after reading Later, but Later was a much better book. I found this book not to be bad, but only acceptable. Nice, but nothing hugely gripping for me.

The Color of Compromise by Jemar Tisby

Reading this one now. It’s about how the Christian church has a longtime complicity in racism in the United States. Written by a Black Christian, it’s pretty powerful. A must read for anyone interested in how the church should respond to its historical racism.

Finished Singular Sensation: The Triumph of Broadway , by Michael Riedel, which was a lot of fun. My favorite story was about a small-time producer who only ever put on one-character shows. Asked why he never did a two-character show, he sneered, “I don’t do spectacle.”

Now I’m reading a thriller called The Family Upstairs, by Lisa Jewell.

I really liked the first 25 pages, but found the aftermath of the explosion to be too drawn out, esp. the part involving Theo and the old man in the debris. Tested me quite a bit, but everything else seemed good.

Finished The Family Upstairs , by Lisa Jewell. Meh.

Now I’m reading Prince: The Last Interview, and Other Conversations, by Prince et al.

Just finished: 1637: The Volga Rules , by Eric Flint, Gorg Huff, and Paula Goodlett
Now reading: Up-Time Pride and Down-Time Prejudice , by Mark H Huston
Up next: 1637: The Peacock Throne, by Eric Flint and Griffin Barber

There isn’t a bad Robert Parker book.

Yeah, I’d agree with that. I like some more than others, but I don’t think I’ve ever read a bad one.

Finished Prince: The Last Interview, and Other Conversations , by Prince et al. Meh.

Now I’m reading The Smartest Kids in the World: and How They Got That Way, by Amanda Ripley.