Khadaji’s Whatcha Reading Thread - May 2022 edition

Read Marathon Man, by William Goldman, over the weekend. I enjoyed it very much (however then I watched the movie, which I didn’t). I don’t usually dig spy thrillers, but this one hooked me. I find it interesting that William Goldman also wrote The Princess Bride, obviously a whole different kettle of fish.

He also wrote the screenplays for All the President’s Men and Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid. A remarkably talented writer, and a fellow Oberlin graduate!

Didn’t he also adapt the works of a certain S. Morgenstern?

Y’know, I think he just might’ve…

He gave the commencement address at Oberlin the year before I graduated, and was very entertaining. His best story was about being constantly mistaken for William Golding, who wrote Lord of the Flies. After years of gently correcting people, he finally gave up and would just say “I’m so glad you enjoyed the book” when approached by its fans.

Continuing on my journey of listening to Michael Connelly books that I read years ago, I just downloaded and began listening to Fair Warning. 30 minutes in, and I don’t remember the plot, much less how it turns out. So it will be, once again, a new experience!

Far Sector N.K. Jemisin (author) and Jamal Campbell (artist)

A young woman from Earth joins the Green Lantern corps and is assigned to a distant part of the galaxy where three alien species live uneasily together on a giant artificial planet. Then a series of murders threatens to disturb the status quo even more. With mostly her wits and also a Power Ring, the young Lantern has to get things under control.

Good story and some fantastic art.

Hat tip to whomever mentioned this in a previous thread.

That’s really the best kind of reread in my opinion!

Finished Burroughs’ The Wizard of Venus/ Pirate Blood Eh.

Now I’m reading Edmond Hamilton’s The Star Kings and re-reading Stephen King’s Danse Macabre, which I haven’t read in about forty years. The reason for the two is that a.) I picked up the Stephen King for free and b.) The Hamilton is the original September 1947 issue of Amazing Stories, which I got cheap and which is threatening to come apart if I don’t treat it well. So I only read it when I can be in a protected area.

You’re welcome!

Finished Ivory Shoals by John Brandon. The writing, especially the dialogue and description, was beautifully done, enough to consider it one of the best novels I’ve read this year, but there are some serious plot holes. Still good enough to recommend.

Now I’m reading Translating Myself and Others, by Jhumpa Lahiri.

New thread: Khadaji’s Whatcha Reading Thread - June 2022 edition

Dude I put up the new thread five days ago… on May 29

Oh I see, you’re reposting the link :smiley: Carry on!