Khadaji’s Whatcha Reading Thread - November 2022 edition

Finished Breathless by Amy McCulloch

Six strangers on a mountain. One killer. Not an unusual theme for a thriller but it is the theme I get the most excitement reading.

Finished Lute. It started off with a good premise but I didn’t like where it went. Too much prosaic island life, not enough eerie unexplainables, and no likable characters.

Einstein and the Quantum: The Quest of the Valiant Swabian A. Dougles Stone

Albert Einstein is best known for the theory of relativity, but he also made major contributions to quantum theory, including the photoelectric effect, wave particle duality and thermodynamics. Ironically he later rejected much of it, famously saying that God does not play dice.

With a mix of biography and history of science, the author does his best to describe the development of quantum physics for a general audience. It’s sometimes tough reading, but it’s worth the effort.

I finished Robert Crais’ Racing The Light. I enjoyed it, although it wasn’t my favorite.

Next up is Stephen King’s Fairy Tale.

Started today on Ghost Eaters by Clay McLeod Chapman. It’s a story about a drug that allows users to see the dead. Man, if that was a real thing, I would get haunted off my ass.

According to the Libby app, I’m 21% into this book right now. I anticipate doing a whole lot of nothing else until I finish it.

Can’t blame autocorrect–this one’s on me. Finished Seanan McGuire’s Letters to the Pumpkin King, which is a collection of essays and poems, which I enjoyed.

Now I’m reading HWJN, by Ibraheem Abbas and Yasser Bahjatt.

Finished HWJN, by Ibraheem Abbas and Yasser Bahjatt. Meh.

Now I’m reading White Collar Girl by Marjory Hall.

Finished Stephanie Schorow’s The Cocoanut Grove Fire – great book.

Now I’m reading The Mouse on the Moon by Leonard Wibberley. It’s the first sequel to his classic The Mouse that Roared. I read both books and the second sequel (The Mouse on Wall Street) ages ago, but my copies disappeared. I found this in a used bookshop. Like the original, this one was turned into a movie, which was pretty awful. This edition has photos from the movie on the back cover. He wrote two other books in the series (Beware the Mouse and The Mouse that Saved the West), but I’ve never even seen copies of those. Apparently they’re all available as e-books, and I may have to read them that way.

On audio, I finished Charles Dickens’ Ghost Stories and Preston and Child’s Dance of Death . Now I’m listening to volume 2 of The Complete Sherlock Holmes, at least untuilk I can find something else.

I’m also reading The 2 ounce Backpacker by Robert S. Wood, a sort of “STrunk and White” book for backpacking. It’s got a lot of weird dodges they never taught me in Boy SCouts.

My bedside reading on KIndle is alternating between The Case of Charles Dexter Ward and The Complete Gary Larson Collection, depending upon my mood

Yeah, The Mouse That Roared was an okay movie, but The Mouse on the Moon was just painful.

I finished Kaiju Preservation Society by John Scalzi at about 12:10 am this morning. I enjoyed it a lot, the book was fun to read, kept me laughing and now I totally ship Jamie and Kahurangi. :wink:

I finished Ghost Eaters, it wasn’t as good as I expected. It was more a story of drug addicts going through addiction and withdrawal than any communication with ghosts. Also, it was grody. Like totally.

I’ve read and enjoyed Beware the Mouse. There’s a copy in my house somewhere.

Finished White Collar Girl by Marjory Hall. Meh.

Now I’m reading Voyage of Mercy: The U.S.S. Jamestown, the Irish Famine, and the Remarkable Story of America’s First Humanitarian Mission, by Stephen Puleo.

Started today on The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert, a novel about a girl who searches for her mother, who is kidnapped after her mother, a writer of dark fairy tales, dies. It may be that the fairy tales were true! :exploding_head: I see this is the beginning of a trilogy, so if it works out I’ll have a couple more books coming.

I really liked The Hazel Wood although I haven’t yet read the other books.
Also enjoyed her more recent Our Crooked Hearts.

I’m currently reading the new book by S.J.Morden, The Flight of Aphrodite, about a manned mission to Jupiter in which the crew all seem to be being affected psychologically - possibly by an outside source (or maybe not!). Not bad but still 100+ pages to go.

Last night I finished The Dying Game by Asa Avdic.

It was on my list of locked room mysteries to read. The description suggested an Agatha Christie type story but having finished it I don’t believe it justifies that comparison. It was not a bad effort and I did feel the sense of isolation that a locked room story should bring. However it didn’t feel like a mystery. Every time something big happened that should raise the tension and thrill of the story instead things moved on too quickly to let it sink in. Those are the points where everything should slow down allowing the characters sense of paranoia and suspicion to become greater. We don’t get that in this book. The ending gives away the reason why. Unfortunately I didn’t like the ending either.

About a third of the way through Stephen King’s Fairy Tales, and I’m completely hooked. In fact I’ve been completely hooked since the beginning.

I’m 80% done with the audio book. Completely hooked as well.

Finished Voyage of Mercy: The U.S.S. Jamestown, the Irish Famine, and the Remarkable Story of America’s First Humanitarian Mission, by Stephen Puleo, which was excellent. I had never heard of the assistance the U.S. gave to Ireland during its potato famine.

Now I’m reading The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens.

I like Puleo’s writing. I have his book on the Boston Molasses Flood