Khadaji's Whatcha Readin' - February 2014

I discovered a new series I must read. I checked out Mike Carey’s The Devil You Know and now I must find the rest of the Felix Castor books. It’s the Vish Puri thing all over again. Dammit Mt. ToBeRead! Quit growing ever taller!

Anyway, the book is about Felix “Fix” Castor, a freelance exorcist (as in not affiliated with the Catholic Church or any of its subsidiaries) in a world where the dead have decided to rise back up and hang out as ghosts, zombies, or loup garous. Or he used to be until one of his best friends got possessed by a demon and Felix made it worse instead of casting it out. Now he’s doing magic shows at kids’ birthday parties. While visiting his office to throw out the accumulated mail, Fix gets a call for a job exorcising a ghost in an archive and a letter from his demon-possessed friend telling him the job is a lot more dangerous than it seems. Fix manages to get fired from the job, involved with a Romanian terrorist, on the bad side of a nasty loup garou, chased by a succubus, and shot with a rosary bead.

There’s also a nice little twist at the end involving who Fix chooses to be his new partner. It wasn’t the person I thought it would be, which was a relief. There was a character who had the same first name I do, and since my name’s not that common it was really jarring to keep reading it.