Kipling, is he over-rated?

I can’t speak for anyone but myself, but I have If. . . and Recessional hanging on the wall of my workspace.

Is Kipling over-rate? As compared to whom? He’s one of my favorite authors, ever. I don’t care that he’s racist, he was a man of his time. I love The Jungle Book and his poems. (I just saw the Jungle Book movie with Sabu on tv, also the Disney version. And there is a new version coming out soon. Can’t wait!) Some very good movies have been made from his works.

Indeed. For the period he wrote in (and about), he is the perfect writer to read about the attitudes and conduct of the British Empire at the height of it’s power. His protraits of the British colonial forces (Danny Deever, Tommy) weren’t always flattering, but they could be gritty.

And like several who have posted above, “My Boy Jack” should be required reading for all the US Presidential candidates, IMHO.

As for me, my own favorite was Mine Sweepers:

If your criteria for rating someone highly include the idea that they have to write about the present day and not present you with information you have to look up, then indeed it may be hard to understand why Kipling was rated highly in his time. But it is a rather limiting and impoverishing view of what literature has to offer.

In his time, he was initially viewed with great suspicion by most of the British upper crust in India because, in Plain Tales from the Raj, he wrote with a more than jaundiced and satirical eye about them and with more interest and enthusiasm about the Indians than the stuffier empire-wallahs approved of. As noted above, he was also unusual in pointing out the cost of gung-ho jingoism to the ordinary soldiers and their families long before his remorse at the loss of his son (see his poem My Boy Jack, which was written well before he lost his own boy Jack). It took a long time for him to be seen as the cheerleader for Empire, King and Country, and even then it wasn’t as mindlessly table-thumping as you might imagine.

Yes, his style in writing for children, as in the Just So stories (that I was brought up on) is, by today’s standards, over-arch as was not uncommon in Edwardian times, and his writing about non-European cultures and people, and about the ordinary soldiers, can, for today’s tastes, seem patronising and too rigidly bound by the racial categories of his time.

I don’t know enough about all the rest of his work to know if it justifies the Nobel Prize, but he is an important figure in gaining an understanding of many British, or should I say, English attitudes of the time. There’s a reason why so many of his works still resonate with people today, and why, for example, “If” is still rated one of the most popular poems in English.

Kipling has never been regarded as a major prose writer or major poet. He’s definitely B list. I like some of his stuff but in the main I’d go along with the verses by his contemporary JK Stephen disparaging the writing of the time:

BTW Stephen was decidedly upper-crust so this ties in with the previous poster’s remarks about how Kipling was initially regarded by the Establishment.

Interesting mention of Haggard in that poem - he’s another immensely popular author of his day, who is less read these days. Personally, I love his stuff, though he did write a ton of it, much of which copies itself. :wink:

Interestingly, his most popular work, King Solomon’s Mines, is very explicitly anti-racist and anti-colonial in tone - astonishingly so, for the era it was written in. So much so, that throughout the 20th century it tended to be re-written with a bit of a “racial makeover” for its movie versions - the love interest, for example, often made into a White woman, from a Black woman in the original.

I know a lot of Kipling poems by heart just because filker Leslie Fish has set them to music. (And her politics are nothing like his, either, she’s a Wobbly anarchist who carries an actual IWW union card.) Fans like 'em.

In that poem, who are the Ass and the blundering boy?

And it might as well be “We Shall Overcome” compared to a less-known Kipling poem, “A Song of the White Men.” “This is the song that the white men sing / When they go to clean a land” came often to my mind in the runup to the Iraq invasion.

Yeah, I agree with this. Mainly where I see Kipling fans is in the military, or people with a military background…you often get Kipling quotes tossed in as an almost inside joke in those circles. The general population, though, hardly know who he is, if they know at all and probably couldn’t name anything he’s done if you put a gun to their heads. He’s very under-rated, IMHO.

George Orwell addresses (an earlier iteration of) that phenomenon in great depth in this classic 1942 essay, which is well worth a read.

Assessing Kipling strictly as an artist and strictly as a poet (the quality of his prose fiction is not discussed), he says:

And there’s also “You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din!”

He does make exceedingly good cakes.

King Solomon’s Mines is the most popular in that it’s probably the one some people still know about these days. But back in Haggard’s time, She was the Big One.

Only the serious wonks still read it today (blush) and it’s remembered primarily for the descriptive “She Who Must Be Obeyed.” But now that Rumpole at the Bailey is fading into the past, that’s being forgotten too.

I just asked the Ukulele Lady if she knew the phrase and she said “Yeah, I’ve heard it, but I just thought it was something all men said about their wives.”

I was referencing Clue. I had not heard of Kipling cakes.

Kipling has both made me cry, and made me cry with laughter. That’s not doing too badly…

I’ve read it many times, but parts of “Stalky & Co” still make me laugh uncontrollably; and the short story “The Village that Voted the Earth was Flat” even more so.

While the poem “Jobson’s Amen” (which might be considered Kipling’s answer to his own jingoism) still brings a lump to my throat…

I’ve actually read the sequel to She, though not She itself. Spoiler: it is to She what the new Star Wars movie is to the original 1977 Star Wars. It was still pretty good though in spite of being shamelessly self-derivative: Haggard was a really good writer. There are still scenes from <I>King Solomon’s Mines</I> that I remember really vividly (laying the dead African guy next to the 300-year old Portuguese corpse in the snow cave, the scene with the cave full of stalactites, the final duel at the end of the war) in spite of not having read it for years.

Some of Kipling’s ‘horror’ stories are good. The Strange Ride of Morrowbie Jukes and Mark of the Beast are seriously creepy in a good way.

I have a hardcover annotated version of She, published by a university press in 1991. I think you can get a Kindle edition for about a buck. A very good way to read it, because Haggard squeezed a lot of arcane shit into the novel that would make even the most devoted Victorian of today scratch his head.

She was the adventure novel that launched a thousand ships of adventure novels afterward. Everyone stole from it. It’s must reading, if you like this sort of thing.

King Solomon’s Mines…with the fifteen-minute eclipse of the sun that occurs during a full moon… Ah, well: it’s still a good book. (Pretty darn good movie, too!)

Don’t miss the Kipling settings on several albums by Peter Bellamy.