Ladies: What changes between your 40s and 50s?

Well a woman in her fifties is young compared to me, and I do enjoy those hot young things! Especially if they stay in shape and ride scooters. Especially a vintage green Vespa GT 200.

One frustrating thing about the aging process between about 45 and 55 was the dramatic drop in my libido. My brain is still interested, but physically my “urge to merge” has practically vanished. Just the sensitivity of my skin has diminished to a shocking extent. Bah! Fortunately I have a patient husband who is willing to devote a lot attention to the very few (and slightly weird) erogenous zones that remain. But I have come to understand why people long for effective aphrodisiacs.

I’ve noticed that as we get into our 40s and 50s, it’s easier to socialize with other women, too. It’s like we’re all in the same boat in many ways. Aging parents. Crazy work schedule. Kids, if you have them (and if you don’t, you’ve probably helped out a sibling with his/her kid, or been a spare parental figure along the way). Weird getting older stuff. My friends from high school and I are finding peri-menopause/menopause jokes freakin hilarious these days.

What I want to know is when I’m going to develop this passion for gardening, walking on the beach, and wearing floaty pastels like all those women in the life insurance commercials. I’m 54. I’ve just agreed to stay at work another five years if the promotion comes through.

One bit of advice I’d have is get in there and lift weights. They don’t have to be heavy, but get some resistance training in. Start in your thirties and keep it up. Brittle bones are no joke and falling down screwed me up royally last year. Balance and weights. Work on them.

As for the rest of it, Dorothy Parker said it well

In youth it was a way I had
To do my best to please
To change with every passing lad
To try and suit his fancies
But now I know the things I know
And do the things I do
And if you do not like me so
To hell, my love, with you.