Lady Dopers: recommend a good moisturizer

Cetaphil is good. I like Nivea with the light blue cap for extra dry skin. And I use Clean and Clear face lotion or something - dual action. Moisturizes great and helps fight zits apparently too. I never break out.

How old are you? When I used it in my late teens, early 20s in Montreal…in freezing cold winds and temps, it ruined my skin. I looked like a psoriasis victim, that’s how dry my skin ended up. I went on Differin for the next 5 years.

I picked Retin-A up again in my mid-20s (in a bit of a warmer climate) and it worked like a charm. It’s supposed to resurface your skin, I suppose, so it is a bit like a chemical peel. I think maybe my skin just “toughened” a little over 5 years? I don’t have nearly as bad a reaction anymore.

I still can’t use it every day, though. Before I discovered the lower concentration Neutrogena cream I’d do it every other day, or every 2nd day. That keeps me from drying out too much.

My only other complaint about is that it seems to make my skin thin and easier to rip, which sucks for waxing purposes (cough I’m from a hirsute ethnicity)

Personally, I like Bath and Body Works’ body cream and body butter. They’re both rich and moisturizing (the body butter is a little heavier), and Bath and Body Works has sales fairly often.

I use Origins “Constant Comforter”. I have very sensitive skin and a host of associated problems, this is the only moisturiser I’ve been able to use on my face that doesn’t burn and doesn’t make my skin feel oily. It just feels so nice I want to touch it all the time.

Well, I have some body lotion I like a lot (Nivea Firming with Co-Q10 or something scientific-sounding like that). But I’m getting lots of good ideas for facial stuff.

quote=amarinth]And water. I’m not sure how that works with your intestinal issues, but the more water I drink the less dry my skin looks and feels.
[/quote]

I don’t malabsorb water at all. And because one of my kidneys is downright crummy (may have to come out this year :eek: ), and the other is moody, water, water, water is a must!

I cannot believe I screwed up those quote tags. I even previewed! :smack:

OOPS! I didn’t realize you need facial moisterizer! :smack:

My bad! Congrats on the weight loss! :slight_smile:

That’s okay. I probably should have been clearer in my OP (I wasn’t as clear, I guess, becaue I knew what I meant :slight_smile: ).

Thanks for the kind words, too.

Purpose Dual Treatment Moisture Lotion is very good. I also like Cetaphil.

Almost 30, so I don’t think the situation will be getting any better. The problem is that retin-A can aggrevate my eczema, to the point where I’d rather just have acne. So I’ve switched my strategy (per esthetician’s rec) and I use exfoliating scrubs instead. So I spend a ton on beauty products now, but not much more then if I were getting prescriptions refilled. Glad it works for you, though. Maybe someday I’ll be in a warmer climate too.

If you’re only going to be applying the product AT NIGHT as you suggested in your OP, do NOT get one with sunscreen.

Sunscreen isn’t actually good for your skin - it’s just better than sun exposure. If your risk of sun exposure is 0 (as it is when you’re sleeping at night) you’re better with a product without it.

If you’re applying it during the day, get a sunscreen. If you’re applying it at both times, get both.

Further, if you’re feeling really dry and dehydrated, you probably should apply it both day and night. Get a lighter product for day and let it completely absorb before you apply your mineral makeup.

Really excellent points made here. Thanks!

For a drugstore brand, I’ve been very impressed with what I’ve purchased from the Oil of Olay line.

I also - during the Minnesota winter - Vaseline my face and steam it. Usually every few weeks. I’ve been doing that for decades. Doesn’t help with the aging, works wonders for dry.

I loves loves loves me some Aveeno Active Naturals daily moisturizer. I really dislike oil-based lotions and avoid them like the plague–this one is water-based, with oatmeal. It’s available at any drug store or grocery store for around $7-10 for an 18 oz bottle. I work in health care and wash my hands constantly, all day long. The powers that be keep the clinic stocked with this stuff for the staff to slather themselves with all day long. It’s awesome.

I use mineral makeup, too, and I find that if I put my moisturizer (Clinique dramatically different moisturizer, which I love, btw) on 10-15 minutes before I put on my makeup, it doesn’t make the makeup go all wonky. I put the moisturizer on first, then do my hair, brush my teeth, etc., then put the makeup on last. Works for me!

Norinew:

I may be in the minority, but in the winter when my skin really gets bad, I use Bag Balm. I don’t use it every night, but about once a week, I slather it on my face before I take a hot bath, then I put it on my elbows after. I then tissue it off my face. I also load it on my feet & wear socks to bed.

I went through the dry skin thing too after GBS - it does get a bit better on down the line.

Glad to hear you’re doing so well :slight_smile:

VCNJ~