Lake Erie walleye and fried green tomato tacos.

Do you find that it’s systematic, or perhaps occasionally-when-we-get-them? I mean, is there an intentional commercial green tomato crop, or is it (like at home) “clean off the tomato plants, that’s it for this season” and therefore not super reliable?

Yeah, I can’t tell. It does seem more arbitrary than not, but I haven’t tracked it too closely (or asked anyone who works at the store) to figure it out if it’s intentional or not. There is definitely one time a year when “pickling dill” plants show up that is related to the pickling cucumber crop coming into the store, but green tomatoes seem to show up more than one time of year. (By “pickling dill,” I mean flowering dill that looks like this, as opposed the more usual dill that is available year round.

People actually buy dill? If you grow anything at all in a garden around here, you’re going to end up with more volunteer dill than you know what to do with. And the kind of folks who are doing their own pickling are, by and large, also the folks who do their own gardening.

I garden, and there’s no dill in my backyard, nor in any of my neighbors’. My old house had dill, but that’s because my mom planted dill when they lived there. We still have that place, but my tenants don’t garden, so the garden just got over-run with the grass from the rest of the yard, so there’s no dill at all anymore, just one lawn in the backyard. So, no, I actually don’t know a single person who has dill in their garden. But even back when we lived in the old place, there really wasn’t enough volunteer dill after so many years to do anything more than a couple jars of pickles. There were maybe two or three plants that would show up from year to year.

As for pickling, lots of the old Eastern European folks still pickle here, and not all of them have gardens.

We try to grow dill once in a while in our kitchen garden, and it never works.

My grandparents had a sixty-acre farm in Northeast Ohio between Cleveland and Akron where they raised actual livestock and real crops during their retirement, and I remember them having a LOT of dill planted, like a five foot square patch, which is why I always tell the Uke Lady that it needs more space than a ten-inch pot.

Dill is usually a buck a bunch in Brooklyn greengrocers, and I don’t begrudge the tiny expense.

Did you catch the Walleye yourself? That makes them taste even better. (I’ve never had Walleye)

No, I didn’t. An uncle of mine, who passed away recently, ran a charter fishing boat out of Conneaut OH. This was some of the fish from the last time he was still well enough to go out on his boat.

Rye Patch. Or Lahontan, but you’re not supposed to eat anything from there.

I drove past Rye Patch a couple weeks ago. The water is a color not found in Nature. :eek:

I get my fish the way God intended. Wrapped in plastic in a little styrofoam tray at Wegmans.

I had salmon with sesame teriyaki sauce last night. With two ears of corn on the cob on the side and a slice of grape pie for dessert.

You’re not buying gas station sushi, are you?

You’re just jealous because that place you live in doesn’t have a Wegmans.

(Blushes hotly)

It’s true.