Laptop size

You can (barely) fit a number pad and full sized keyboard on a 15". My VAIO has them, but it’s not that common in that size.

This poster knows what’s what.

You’re using this machine for work, and actually transporting it. Don’t buy a 10lb desktop replacement. You want a business class 15" notebook. Look at the Lenovo ThinkPad T530. If you configure one with the i5-3210, 1920x1080 display, discrete graphics, and Ultimate-N wireless you’ll end up with a durable machine that can handle most any task one would reasonably expect of a notebook while remaining portable and inexpensive. True, it’s possible to buy a notebook for $600 from Amazon.com or Best Buy, but consumer class notebooks are built to hit a price point and build quality suffers. I’ve got a Thinkpad T500 from years ago that is still in daily use, whereas the Dell and HP models purchased around that time fell apart long ago.

I’m not actually using it for work, maybe I should have been clear about that. I just take it to work so I can play around to pass the time.

I’m using a refurbished very old Dell Latitude now, so that’s a business class laptop, but is there really much difference? This Dell seems about like my old Dell Inspiron as far as I can tell (which isn’t really that far).

I can’t address the Latitude, since I have no personal experience with them. The T and W series Thinkpads do have metal chassis and rollcages and proper reinforced metal hinges. That sort of thing contributes significantly to durability. My T500 is to my Inspiron as a camry is to a yugo. I am not exactly a road warrior, but that Dell is falling apart.

Personally, I’d just get a T430 (14") with the 1600x900 screen because I hate lugging a huge machine all over the place, but you seem to be OK with that hassle of a larger notebook. Note that I also don’t play modern games and have no idea what the requirements of your games are. For me the requirements are good resolution and build quality.

If the OP or anyone is considering a Lenovo please use this coupon. It’s a significant discount, and anyone can use it.

And no, I don’t work for Lenovo or derive any benefit from the coupon above. I am just a ThinkPad fan.

Miss DrumBum has a 17" MacBook and really likes it. The only problem we had was finding a padded carrying case to lug it to classes. Most of the ones available were for 15" laptops although we eventually found one.