Laptop under or around $2k

I’m enjoying the Dell “2 in 1” I got for my daughters for Christmas. It’s a touchscreen laptop you can fold over to make a tablet or a tent. I really dislike the heat that laptops throw off so switching to the tent configuration is a really nice option if I’m not typing too much. The Yoga is the Lenovo version.

Lucky folks. Our BYOD are limited to tablets and phones, and we’re stuck running really, really bad client software. It only takes a little knowledge to use the native clients, but I suppose someone’s brother in law owns stock in MobileIron (I’m kidding; that would be highly inappropriate in our company).

I’d suppose that would be dependent on the part of the environment and the capability of the user. We actually have an official MacBook program, but that’s aimed at executives who don’t do any actual engineering (and it’s completely self-supported; no IT desk support). I could see people in HR who access nothing but webapps using Macs with no problems, and maybe assistants, and so on.

We have too many things that are Windows-only in my field, though, meaning I’m much better off running Windows, period. If I had the standard load on a Mac instead of a Dell, though, nothing would really change for me, except I’d have a useful trackpad and a nicer screen. Mostly people would bother me about why I have a Mac.

MSi offers a great laptop in that price range complete with NVIDIA video card, and their enhanced stereo Nahamic enhancer. Great performance for streaming video and or gaming (I’ve seen over 120 FPS) 17 inch monitor (screen) with loads of different resolutions and what not.

Seconded. The cheesy plastic consumer-priced HP laptops are plastic junk, but their professional “Elitebook” models are rock solid. I have a 2011 8560p, and in spite to carrying it around everywhere and being on it nearly ever waking hour, it cannot be killed. The most important part is that it is repairable (unlike the Apple laptops mentioned earlier). I took mine apart, drilled holes in the bottom of it and put rings on the bottom to hang it from the legs of my tripod.

I think a lot of the Intel Ultrabook computers as well as the Apple Macbook Air systems and the tablet systems (iPads and the like) are not very repairable. I believe a lot of these systems have components like the memory or the hard drives glued in place and the covers are also not designed to be easily opened. I think this is all necessary because these systems are so thin.

A surface book or surface pro 4