Latin & mythology: why Jupiter/Jovis?

TizzonelA’s examples suggest he/she had Irish phonology in mind. The word “aspiration” is commonly (if inaccurately) used to refer to lenition of consonants in Irish. A word beginning with [p], when “aspirated”, becomes “ph-”, pronounced [f].

[Edited to add:] or, exactly what Dr Drake posted an hour ago.

And “Theos”.

doesn’t matter

I’m not challenging this, Dio, but I’d love to have a link or other reference to learn more about this, as it’s something I’ve never encountered in years of reading up on classical Greek phono0logy.

The cool kids pronounce zeta as ds, as I learned it, but now I also here people say sd, so I guess no one really knows to pronounce Ancient Greek

I learned it from my college Attic Greek classes. It was the latest “reconstruction” at the time, and it may have changed.

I see wiki has some material on it, but says it’s disputed. In my university courses, we had to say “zd,” though.

They didn’t forget Yahweh parting the waters: The Golden Calf was meant as a representation of Yahweh. What they had forgotten was that any depiction of Yahweh, even a flattering one, was forbidden.