LaundryMat unwritten rules.

If someone leaves their clothes in the washer for an unreasonable amount of time, you have the right to sculpt a laundry bunny out of their clothes.

1. No attendant where I am. I do leave, but I time it, and 99% of the time come by 2-3 minutes before the cycle ends on the dryer, and right as the cycle is ending on the washer.

2. I don’t have any problem touching other people’s undies but I’d rather not, really.

3. I’ve had two chemises (pretty, frilly undergarments) stolen out of my laundry. I really liked them. One was an ivory white and one was hunter green. I wrote an erotica that involved the green one. Bastards. :frowning: I can guess what you’re doing with them, you disgusting perverts.

Here’s why I extremely rarely remove clothes from a washer or dryer. One time I removed dry clothes from a dryer, put mine in and went away until they should have been done, I came back to find my clothes thrown around the laundry room.

Exactly my concern after getting the nasty note. As it was I think that person stopped my dryer because my clothes weren’t dry. How immature. You aren’t back to take your own clothers out and when someone else who is waiting in line does you fuck with their clothes. I just don’t get it. I suppose if I take someones clothes out I should wait with my clothes and tell them if they ask or get pissy. This person made a special effort to go home write a note and come back and tape it to the dryer.

I don’t understand all this trouble. I spend a lot of time in laundromats and have never had any of these concerns. I just consider it a write-off of a few hours, grab a coffee and bring some reading, so I’m there the second the buzzer goes off.

I take all my 1st-string tops and pants home to hang dry. Otherwise they wrinkle and/or shrink, how do you people not have that problem?

What’s left I run through the dryer for 15 minutes at a time, stop to take out what’s dry (usually sheets and underwear) and put the rest (usually towels, socks and 2nd-string tops) back in; repeat until everything is dry. This takes way less time (and in a laundromat dryer especially, time is money!) and electricity, and has the added bonus of almost completely eliminating static cling.

Nobody ever touches my laundry but me, because I do my best to make the whole laundry ordeal take as little time as possible.

In my freshman dorm, ignorant of laundromats even having rules, I agonized over removing someones clothes that had been left in the dryer for 1/2 hour. I finally took them out and FOLDED them, stacking them neatly atop the dryer. I put my clothes in, put in my money, set my watch, and go back upstairs. I came back down when my dryer should have been almost done, and found my still wet and formerly clean clothes in a pile on the filthy basement floor. The dryer was empty. The owner of the clothes I removed and folded had dumped my out for pure spite.

I later discovered an even shittier stunt people pulled. They’d wait until you set your clothes washing and left, then pause the washer, remove your wet, soapy clothes, pitch them in a dryer, and put their clothes in your water with your detergent-- totally free laundry! When you returned, you just assumed you were late and that someone who needed the washer just moved your clothes. Funny how it took twice as long to dry and your clothes were stiff and greasy feeling.

Our washers locked themselves after you started them. There was a little port on top where you could add detergent or bleach or whatever (or I guess if you were malicious, whatever you wanted…never had that problem) during the cycle if you needed to. The dryers didn’t though.

[QUOTE]

Dam…you folded them and they still did that. Some people just have a real attitude about people touching their clothes. They don’t seem to think they need to be considereate of the people waiting for a dryer, but get real pissed when anyone touches their stuff. How self absorbed is that?

Just say a big fuck you to your fellow man and save a few cents on laundry. Real nice. I would think it would be real easy to get busted pulling that one. Once someone gets wise or sees soap on their clothes then the culprits clothes are right there in the washer.

Tell you what Dopers. You’ve convinced me that if I have to pull someones clothes out then I need to be there until mine dry. Thanks for the input.

When I first got in town I had to drive to a laundromat and I would spend the time writing letters or reading. Now my apartment is is the next building over and it’s nice to just go home. Our dryers require a dollar and take an hour. Once you’ve paid the initial dollar you can add 15 minutes with an extra quarter.

I think it all depends. Are we talking about a commercial laundromat with adequate seating? Or a tiny room in the basement of the next building over at your apartment complex, with two or three of each machine jammed in, with no seats and barely standing room? And how busy has it been?

When the machines are in your apartment complex, with nowhere to sit in the laundry room, then there’s really nothing you can do but go back to your apartment for the duration. Occasionally you’re going to not get back in time, so give other people at least a little bit of slack if you can. (I’d max out at 15 minutes of slack, though; after that, their clothes are on the table.) But if there’s somewhere to sit down and read a book while waiting for the washer or dryer to finish, then you should have your butt there a few minutes before your machine should be done if you don’t want your laundry moved to the folding table.

The other thing is the busyness level. If you walk in to any sort of facility - laundromat or apartment complex laundry room, doesn’t matter - and all or almost all the machines are busy, then you should figure that someone might be waiting on your machine when you’re done. So you should make much more of a point to be there when your load is done, and you should fully expect that your clothes might be moved if you’re a minute or two late.

I do take my first-string shirts home to hang dry because if they shrink in the dryer at all it will be in length not width and that’s no good. For my first-string pants, I dry them on delicate–low heat because there are like 20 of them and I can’t stand to have them all drip drying at home. The low heat keeps them from shrinking and they are minimally, though still somewhat, wrinkly. We are always business casual though and a few wrinkles will be tolerated.

Most of my ‘first-string shirts’ are not especially ‘nice’; just cotton with button-down collars. Putting them in the dryer tends to fade the colours, so when I lived in L.A. I would hang-dry them in my apartment. It worked well down there. Up here in the damp Pacific Northwest, not so much.

That’s another thing - if you know the laundromat is busy, then it sure is your responsibility to not even be 15 minutes late. But if you go there and there’s 2 people then I’m not so irritated.

Also - everyone does their laundry Saturday or Sunday morning! Me? Tuesday night, or Friday night - no one is there.

This thread makes me appreciate the other tennants in my condo. I’ve only had to remove laundry once. It had been there over night. There are 8 condos & one washer & one dryer. If someone’s doing laundry we usually just wait until the next day. If somone’ down there when you come to check washer/dryer status, you just ask them for an estimated completion time. Since you can only do one load at a time, if you’re there first, you get to finish as many loads as you brought before it’s someone elses turn. If you really need to do a load now! people will usually let you slide one in in between theirs.

6 washers and 6 dryers. Often it’s busy. Occasionaly not, like on weekday mornings. The apartments are all close. Laundromat in the center building. There’s no reason for anyone to wait if their neighbors show a little consideration and keep track of the time. AS I said, If I have time I will wait but people have schedules to keep so sometimes I just can’t.
It takes a half hour to wash and an hour to dry. Even if nobody is waiting when you put your clothes in the dryer, people could be waiting when they’re done.

[QUOTE=cosmosdan]

Oh, they did. My next door neighbor caught her, actually. She was the most hilarious person in the world to catch the bitch, as she hailed from a seriously bad neighborhood in Newark and could just glare and curse you into peeing your pants if you pissed her off. Not a chick to mess with y’know? Anyway, she was also very anal about fabric softener, so when she realized she’d forgotten it, she set her wash running and hiked the 3 floors back up, then back down with her bottle and downy ball. She caught the girl midway through clothes swapping.

Madame Washer Theif is lucky she didn’t lose any teeth.