Lead singer takes a break: best and worst examples

Robbie Krieger of The Doors on “Running Blue”
Keith Moon of The Who thought he should be the singer. Had a few songs like “Barbara Ann”. His solo album was one of the worst ever.
Miami Steve van Zandt tried a couple albums and they were as lousy as his acting on the Sopranos. Don’t think he ever sang with Springsteen.

Add “You Got the Silver” to the “bests” too.

The two lead singers in the Barenaked Ladies (historically - one has quit) have great, distinctive voices. Not sure why they let the other guys sing sometimes.

Same thing with Belle & Sebastian - they have two great singers (historically - one has quit) AND some ladies with lovely voices for some tunes. Not sure why Stevie Jackson has to ever sing. The only B&S song I will ever skip over is Jackson singing like a cowboy on “Beyond the Sunrise.”

Not sure this will be a fave on the Straight Dope, but I’ll post it:

Best - Night Ranger drummer Kelly Keagy on lead vox for “Sister Christian”.

No mention of Pete Townshend yet? Not to take anything away from Roger, but Pete’s voice, albeit a somewhat acquired taste, has always been one of my favorites.

“Blue, Red and Grey” off of Who By Numbers is a great example, among lots of others.

Entwistle I agree was nothing great…“Success Story” (again, off of WBN) was about as good as he got.

Add me to the list of those who (usually) like’s Keef’s vocals too, especially on the three aforementioned tunes…his solo stuff, not so much.

Other than Crossroads what did he sing on? The story goes he wasn’t confident in his singing ability at the time.

I disagree. My Wife is one of my favorite songs from The Who.

Hey, YMMV. I love 'em.

Eddie Van Halen sang lead on “How Many Say I” off of Van Halen 3. The less said about this the better.

He sang “Badge”, didn’t he?

A wonderful performance. I’ve heard a bootleg with Jagger singing it–I think over the same instrumental track–which was pretty great, too, but Keef owns this. I don’t think Jagger was too happy about Keef’s version being the one on the album.

“Strange Brew,” “Badge,” “Outside Woman Blues,” a few others…it took me ages to realize that Clapton and Bruce were trading lines on “Sunshine of Your Love.”

Heaven and Hell, Boris the Spider (Jimi Hendrix favorite Who song) and Whiskey Man. The Ox sang his own material perfectly.

Townshend I think of as another lead singer for the Who.

Phil Lesh didn’t sing much at all, but he wrote the music for and sang “Box of Rain” which I think of as the Deads greatest song.

Weir was not a good singer. I’ll leave it at that.

Some more secondary singers who really came up with the goods:

Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys: little Bird, Be Still, Be with me.

Bryan Maclean of Love: He wrote 5 songs but each were unique gems. Arthur Lee would not let him sing Alone again or.

We’re an American band was written and sung by Mel Brewer, the drummer of GFR.

Everybody knows Dave Davies wrote and sang some great Kinks songs.

Politely disagree. Have you listened to Whistle Rhymes? Reading the lyrics, they sound like good songs, but they’re unlistenable. If you have, and you like it, well I guess we’ll leave it at that. :slight_smile:

It was always kind of cringy whenever James Young sang lead on any of the Styx albums.
EDIT: “Miss America” is not terrible.

And thus we come to a parting of the ways, WordMan. Richards is horrific on ‘Happy’. I once read a description of his performance there as ‘vocal Alfalfaisms’.

Ouch.

Peter Criss sang lead on Beth, one of KISS’s biggest hits and I think his voice suited it, too. Gene is too Cookie Monster and Paul is too . . .smarmy.

Also Glad And Sorry. Man, how I love this song. I learned it from the Golden Smog cover, which is also beautiful, with Jeff Tweedy on lead, who was also a fine second lead singer with Uncle Tupelo. His New Madrid is good. And to bring it full circle, Ronnie Lane’s and Pete Townshend’s album Rough Mix is a fine collaboration of second fiddle singers from their respective bands.

I was always partial to the Steve Earle/Supersuckers cover of Before They Make Me Run. Earle at least is drawing on a lot of the same source material as Keef did.

That’s hilarious.

I get that he sounds like he gargled sandpaper. I think it suits the lyric and his general Keef-ness.

“I never kept a dollar past sunset; always burned a hole in my pants…”