Legal Definition for Stupidity

When you squirt from the can, the dangers are
(a) You have a stream of gas or kerosene or whatever from the can to the flame, and the flame could go up the stream.
(b) Then the entire can could blow up like a bomb.

When you pour a little into a cup and then toss that cup on the fire, neither of the above facts apply. No, he didn’t actually throw the whole cup. Just toss the fluid from the cup onto the fire.

So it sounds like the crux of the argument was that the can failed to “not explode” and the use by a child (or someone of diminished capacity? Is that the term?) had nothing to do with the failure.

A flame arrestor, if you google, is a simple fine wire mesh covering the base of the nozzle. A fine enough metal mesh will stop a flame from going through. As I said, none of my gas cans have it. I don’t think I’ve seen one with it. My gas cans have a more wide-spaced plastic grid, if anything.

However, if that’s the key to the argument, the manufacturers probably assessed the likelihood of winning a jurytrial and opted to settle. Whether a jury would fairly and impartially conclude that a gas can made the same as the majority of gas cans was unsafe - that’s the $160M question.

Yes, that’s basically it. The diminished capacity issue isn’t really relevant. If there is a defect in the product, then the manufacturer is strictly liable. Generally, under strict liability comparative fault (reduction or refusal of damages because of the other party’s contributing error) doesn’t apply.

When one is not deemed to be a moron, idiot or imbecile, one’s AGE and MATURITY level are analyzed by professionals.